1881 large frame

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

hcvrr
Beginner

1881 large frame

Post by hcvrr »

I recently purchased an 1881 Marlin large frame and DST tang with serial number 5234. Can you provide any info for this serial number?
Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1881 large frame

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hcvrr;

Interesting gun you have there. The old factory records show that it was shipped mid-1883 with a 28 inch half octagon barrel in .40-60 caliber. It also had a half magazine. The records do not list the double set triggers, but many of the guns in that area of the records do show being shipped with double set triggers, so that feature may have been omitted by the person recording the information.
Now the good news, the records show there are only 47 Model 1881's listed with the half octagon barrel. The records also show only 194 Model 1881 listed in the records with the half magazine. I really think this is a low number as there seems to be quite a few half magazine tube Model 1881's around compared to the number listed in the records, but there is not way to know for sure how many were actually made.
You may want to remove the butt stock to check to see that the lower tang serial number matches the receiver serial number. Since the records do not reflect the double set triggers, it could be that the lower tang was switched out at some point in time and it not the original lower tang.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
hcvrr
Beginner

Re: 1881 large frame

Post by hcvrr »

Hello Regnier:

Thanks for the quick answer. All that I have for this rifle is the Receiver, lower tang and lever. The receiver and lower tang have matching numbers. This is my 5th 1881. I have 2 large frame in 45-70 and 40 cal. 1 medium frame in 45-70 (complete rebuild). 1 small frame 32-40 and the large frame parts. I think I will build it to match the factory specs.

Thanks again.

hcvrr