Marlin 1893 manufactured in 1894

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dpiarussi
Beginner

Marlin 1893 manufactured in 1894

Post by dpiarussi »

I have located for sale, a Model 1893, in .38-55, serial 99554, date manuf'd 1894;
* 26 " oct. bbl,
* straight grip,
* blade front sight,
* full crescent end plate.
* very tight wood to metal fit,
*no buggered screws;
* case color and
bluing 96-98%, crisp tight action, bore bright, with no wear or pitting; sharp grooves throughout.

This barrel has all correct Marlin markings EXCEPT "Special smokeless steel"

Since this is an early production, before Winchester introduced the smokeless .30-30 in 1895,

Question - is this rifle meant for black powder only or can it be used with .38-55 smokeless ammo with moderate pressures for antique guns?

I know there were 1893 's made for black powder only and say "For Black Powder" or something to that effect.

But this 1893 # 99554, says neither "Special Smokeless Steel" nor "For Black Powder".
Any info will be appreciated. Thank you.

David Iarussi
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893 manufactured in 1894

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

David;

The early Model 1893's (made prior to the introduction of smokeless powder in 1895) were meant to use black powder as it was the only powder at the time. These guns have a soft steel barrel not meant to fire jacketed bullets. You can use smokeless powder in your .38-55 caliber gun, just use lead bullets, and keep the pressures down around black powder pressures. When smokeless powders came along, Marlin added a screw to the left side of the receiver to help support the lower tang from the pressures being applied via the lever from the breech bolt.
Early gun barrels were not marked either way as all were soft steel. When smokeless powders came along, Marlin made the stronger steel barrels to hold up under the higher pressures of smokeless powder and the use of jacketed bullets, and marked them Special Smokeless Steel so new owners knew it was okay to use the new smokeless powders. In 1905, Marlin still had some of the soft steel barrels around, so to make use of them, they offered the guns marked "For Black Powder" at a discounted price over a Special Smokeless Steel gun. By marking them "For Black Powder", Marlin let the customer know that it was not made for jacketed ammunition or smokeless powder ammunition. Use of jacketed ammunition will wear the bore out whereas lead will not.
Everything about your gun is correct to the factory records, and it was shipped in late 1893.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dpiarussi
Beginner

Post by dpiarussi »

Thank for that wealth of detail which answered my question so thoroughly. My last question has to do with value.

Question - From a price point-of-view, would you venture your opinion that this piece is on a par with the discounted later manufactured, soft barreled "for Black Powder" Marlins and should be discounted below the "Special Smokeless Steel" 1893s ? Thank you.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

David;

The simple answer to that is no. The early Model 1893's are the standard of the time. Made like they were after introduction of the Special Smokeless Steel barrels with a case-colored receiver. The later, "For Black Powder" guns were made with blued receivers as standard. There were some made on special order with case-colored receivers, but they are unusual to find.
If I had a really nice, early Model 1893 with a case-colored receiver, I would not discount it vs. a later, Special Smokeless Steel marked gun.

dpiarussi
Beginner

Post by dpiarussi »

Thank you. Very much appreciated expertise.

In your Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:54 pm reply, 2nd sentence; "Made like they were after introduction of the Special Smokeless Steel barrels..."

Did you mean -

" Made like they were BEFORE introduction of the Special Smokeless Steel barrels ..."

I just wanted to be sure I understand everything you included about the missing barrel markings you replied to.

Thank you and have a renewing and patriotic celebration of our nation's INDEPENDENCE.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

David;

In a sense, you can look at it both ways. The later guns with SSS barrels were made like the earlier non-SSS barreled guns, or the earlier non-SSS barreled guns were made like the later guns with SSS barrels that followed. Either way you want to look at it, the standard Model 1893 had a case-colored receiver as standard when production of the Model 1893 was started. The only difference is the barrels after 1895 and the introduction of smokeless powders and the different calibers that came along with the new powders.

Happy Independence Day to one and all.......

dpiarussi
Beginner

Post by dpiarussi »

What is a safe pressure for this early first year production 1893 (.38-55) serial 99554 ?

And do I use CUP or psi?

According to Chuck Hawks article "And if the CUP number is lower than about 40,000 the PSI equivalent will probably be considerably less. unfortunately ....this is not reliable."

Thank you.