Marlin No.20 Barrel Question

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

azwalt
Beginner

Marlin No.20 Barrel Question

Post by azwalt »

Did Marlin ever make the No.20 with a 15 inch barrel?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin No.20 Barrel Question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Azwalt;

The old Marlin catalogs state that the 24 inch octagon barrel was the only barrel available for the Model 20. The catalog states that neither round or half octagon barrels are made for the Model 20. And yet, Brophy pictures a Model 20(A) with a round barrel. So, we now say "Never say never" with Marlin. The Model 20 was made at a time with the customer was accommodated to their needs or wants. If someone special ordered a Model 20 with a short barrel, they may have gotten it, but it would about have to be at least 16 inches as the Model 20's standard magazine tube was a half length tube, made to fit 16 inch barrel guns like the Model 1897 Bicycle Rifle. I doubt that Marlin would have strayed to far from that length for any reason.
That said, I have a photo of one of Marlin's favorite people with his grandson. The person is Capt. Albert Hardy and he has one of his maple stocked Marlin lever action rifles, and his grandson is holding a very (VERY) short Marlin pump action rifle. This rifle is obviously made for a child as it to small for an adult. Here, a special ordered pump action rifle that does not fit catalog descriptions. So, could have Marlin made a short barrel Model 20? By all means they could have. It would take some investigation of the gun in question to be sure this is factory work, but it may be worth it.
What barrel markings does the gun in question have?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
azwalt
Beginner

Post by azwalt »

Has standard markings as the other full length model I have. The "shorty" looks factory with dovetailed front sight and no evident cutting to the barrel. Have been looking for info for few months with no luck.
turkeygirl
Beginner

Post by turkeygirl »

Where can i find or get a copy of the photo of Capt. Albert Hardys grandson holding a (shorty) pump action
rifle mentioned in your post of 6/19/15.
I also have a very.very short pump model 20 from my grandfathers attic,it to looks factory made.

I'm working to determine what i've got!!

I'm a new member this year and help or information you can provide is appreciated.
Robert Hadley (turkeygirl)
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Robert;

I have that photo. I can scan it and email it to you if you like and then you can print it out as you like. Just let me know if this is how you want to go. I know of no other sources of this photo as it was from a Los Angles newspaper's files.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
turkeygirl
Beginner

Post by turkeygirl »

Thank you very much-- scan and email will do just fine.
I'll keep you posted on my search.

Robert