Marlin Model 93 Year of Manufacture

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Tadosan
Beginner

Marlin Model 93 Year of Manufacture

Post by Tadosan »

Hi Folks, I am in possession of a Marlin Model 93 Winchester 32 Special, 20 inch barrel Saddle Carbine.

A four digit Serial number 37XX is displayed underneath the tang. There was a ring with a leather string attached to saddle loop which I have removed. There is no prefix letter before the 4 digit numbers.
The caliber (not shown on the pics attached is located underneath the rear sight leaf stamped as "32 SP". The carbine is in mint condition & the last time ( a few months back) I shot it at the range at 50 meters & it shot a very tight group. the barrel is still shiny & no rust mark is found on the rifle. In short, it has been very well preserved.

Some one I know mentioned that it may very well be from the early 1920 to early 1930. However, I would very much like to get any additional info from groups or individuals knowledgable in regards to this type of firearms.

•The year of manufacture
•The current value of the rifle

Photo link attached below for detail pics of rifle.
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/52158...3449570-43702/
I love the sound of anything that goes... http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/grenade.gif
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 93 Year of Manufacture

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tadosan;

Unfortunately, I cannot get anywhere with the link to your photos to help a little more here. But, from your description saying it is a Marlin Model '93, it will be a gun made sometime after 1921. Really need to see the photos to be of more help.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Not sure if this will help Rick but looks like you be able to see the photos.
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/view ... page/1/15/
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tadosan;

With Brian's help, I was able to look at the photographs of your Marlin Model '93 saddle ring carbine. The sights have been replaced (both front and rear which is why the caliber marking is partially covered). Sling swivels have been added. The tang screw is not original. The entire gun has been refinished. To a collector, this is all things that will affect the value down, considerably. When the sling swivel was added to the butt stock, it may have taken the Marlin trademark "bullseye" and made it much harder to determine when the gun was made. It has a Marlin Firearms Company barrel, which does not help determine when it was made as both the Marlin Firearms Corporation (1921 to 1924) and the new Marlin Firearms Company used left over barrels with that marking or used that roll die to mark barrels. For now, since your gun does not have a serial number letter prefix, I would have to guess it was made in the 1921 era. It may be later, like 1925, but there is no way to tell right now.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.