Marlin 1897 engraved

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Win.22
Beginner

Marlin 1897 engraved

Post by Win.22 »

Hi, I have a Marlin 1897, It has the # 1 engraving and a pistol grip checkering # A. It also has nickel-plated trimmings, unfortunately the previous owner didn't take care of it the best. The plating is flaking off and dull. Other wise it is in fine shape. Ser. # is 246662. Could you tell me if it came from factory this way. If I can figure out how to send pictures I will. Any information would be a great help. Thanks!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1897 engraved

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Win.22:

I am sure you have heard how incomplete the old Marlin factory records are by now. In this case, the records for your serial number show that it is a Model 1897 ('97) in .22 caliber with a 24 inch octagon barrel and pistol grip stock. It was shipped in mid-1902. As is in most cases, the engraving and plating is not mentioned. It would take photographs to determine if these are original factory applied options.
You can either post them here for all to see, or email them to me. If you wish to post them, there are good instructions in the old "GUEST SECTION" under a post titled "Old Marlins in New Zealand". Scroll down through the posts to the instructions posted by Road King.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Win.22:

The engraving is definitely #1 engraving that was factory applied to your rifle. The plating also looks to be original as well. The wood looks very well preserved considering the amount of wear on the receiver to make the plating look the way it does. Have you removed the butt stock to see if the serial number on the wood matches the receiver? Marlin numbered the butt stock to match the gun. It seems a little strange that someone would order an engraved and plated gun with plain, "A" checkered wood. That is not to say it did not happen, but it does seem a little unusual.

Win.22
Beginner

Post by Win.22 »

Yes the butt stock Ser. # does match. I was surprised also about the finish on the receiver, the bluing on the barrel is in nice original condition also. How can you tell a silver wash finish from nickel-plating? Here is the big question, ( I think I know what your answer will be but I have to ask). Is there a way or should I even try, to clean up some of the rust so that the engraving stands out without damaging the finish or value? Lastly any idea of value of this 1897 or would you need more pictures? Thanks again for your time!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Win.22;

Certainly, more pictures would help. Really need to see the entire gun to make any kind of judgments. The wood matches, that is a good thing. As to silver vs. nickel, it is kinda hard to explain, but silver is "softer" in appearance and will tarnish (turn black or dark bluesh) over time whereas nickel is more "shiny" and does not tarnish. Frankly, most of the damage is done, so I would not try to do anything to help the overall appearance. If there is some surface rust, then a light cleaning will not hurt if you can do it without disturbing any of the remaining plating. Oil and very fine steel wool might help. Just be careful.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Win.22;

From the pictures, I see that your Marlin Model 1897 had a tang mounted peep sight at one time. The screws present on the upper tang are screws for a tang mounted peep sight. Which kinda explains the #5 Lyman Combination front sight. The rear barrel sight is correct, but is missing the elevator. The overall condition of the blue on the barrel and magazine is pretty good, and the overall condition of the wood is also pretty good. Just a few handling marks on the wood which is to be expected on a gun that is a hundred twelve years old. It is just a shame the plating on the receiver did not stand up as well. It would appear at some point in time, someone used some sort of penetrant oil (like WD-40) on the receiver, lifting the plating from the base metal, allowing it to flake off. As to value, that is hard to say. Some collectors will be just fine with the gun is it's present condition, whereas others want guns in pristine condition. For insurance purposes, I would estimate the value in the $4,000.00 range, plus or minus five hundred, just depending upon time and location. It might bring a little more at auction, but to collectors, it is a desirable piece, but the overall condition holds it back for the higher value. it is just a nice gun that had some poor storage treatment.

Win.22
Beginner

Post by Win.22 »

Thank you for your time on this rifle I really appreciate it! What type of peep sight would have been correct for this? I used to just collect Winchester .22s but I have grown fond of the older .22 lever action Marlins, I have four of them now, this 1897, a 97, side loader 1891 and a tube feed 1891. Thanks again!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Win.22;

A correct Lyman tang mounted peep sight would be either a #1, 1A, 2 or 2A, with a letter "H" on the bottom of the sight base.
Sounds like you have the start of a nice collection of Marlin, .22 caliber lever action rifles. There are nice Model 1892's and '92's around, you just have to look for them. You have a couple of the harder guns to find in the Model 1891's, so you can go further by adding the Model 39 which was the last of the earlier Marlin .22 rifles manufactured with the octagon barrels standard to really round things out.