Off center sight

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Sears
Beginner

Off center sight

Post by Sears »

I have a Marlin 1891 that I was told was sold between 1891 and 1905. It has the peephole sight but the center sight is off to the side. I have not been able to find a logical reason for it being mounted this way. Any suggestions??
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Off center sight

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sears;

How far off to the side is your rear sight? Does the "sight picture" between the tang mounted sight, rear sight and front sight align? If not, then your rear sight may have been removed at some point in time and not replaced in the correct position, or simply may have been bumped and moved off to the side.
By the way, the Model 1891 was made from 1891 to 1895, in two variations. The first variation was a .22 caliber only, sideloading version made only about one year. The second variation was the tube loading variation made in .22 and .32 Colt calibers. Made from 1892 to 1895.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Sears
Beginner

Re: Off center sight

Post by Sears »

Regnier,
Thanks for the response. The fold up peep sight is centered and it looks like the long flat sight was moved off to the right. I thought maybe it was in the way. The original owner was a marine that took it with him to the Philippines and used it to chase the Moro's across the bay.

This has the tube for the 22 long or short shells. The sight has been moved off to the next cut on the barrel with just a little of the far end on the previous cut.

I had been in touch with someone at the NRA and they felt the gun had been sold between 1891 and 1905. The number under the lever is 12893 and when you break it down on the little flat tab 893