Stock carvings on 336A Deluxe models ??

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

roundball
Beginner

Stock carvings on 336A Deluxe models ??

Post by roundball »

I have what seems to be a very rare 1950 Marlin 336A special Deluxe Edition, 24” barrel, Ballard rifling, .30-30 caliber, 2/3rds magazine, forearm end cap.
Somehow I came to the understanding that during the 1950’s Marlin would pick a particular model, then design / manufacture a few hundred of that model as a special deluxe edition.
My 336A Special Deluxe Edition is from the special build for the year 1950 and consists of:
High quality American Black Walnut for the butt stock and forearm
Hard carved hunting scene wraps completely around the buttstock, left/right/top/bottom
Fancy deep cut, hand checkered pistol grip
Fancy Pistol Grip End Cap
Fancy deep cut, hand checkered, wide beavertail forearm
Anti-glare 'waffle top' finish designed into the steel top of the receiver
Ballard style rifling

I bought it at an estate sale a quarter century ago. (NOTE: The Pachmayr recoil pad in the slide show was simply mounted where the Marlin butt plate was, to get a little extra LOP for long arms, but no alterations were made to the stock whatsoever. Still have the original buttplate & screws which I can simply mount right back in place).
16 PHOTOS IN THIS SLIDESHOW:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/roundba ... -30?sort=9

My question is this: Does anyone know of a source that references the carvings on deluxe models...for example, were they in fact done by Marlin, or would this carving have been done as some follow-on custom work after the purchase from Marlin?

Thanks
roundball
Beginner

Re: Stock carvings on 336A Deluxe models ??

Post by roundball »

Well, I was hopeful for some possible references...so let me ask this:
In listing this for sale, I'd appreciate suggestions on the best way to comment on the stock carving.
Its a very unique carving and would be inappropriate not to even mention it in a listing but I'm struggling with how to describe / explain that it's on there.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Roundball;

Marlin did do some stock carvings, but that started in the 1960's with the 90th Anniversary Model 39-A and 39-A Mountie, and carried on with the Model 39-ADL. Later, Marlin did some stock carving on the Model 336 (i.e. the Model 336 Deluxe Texan) and some carvings for Spiegel Company. These stock carving offerings did not last long as you have seen in Brophy's book (page 658).
The work on your Model 336 is strictly a custom job. Who ever did it or had it done spared little expense and effort. It is nice, but not factory.
To list it, simply describe the stock carving as extensive, custom carving and checking. Let the buyer decide how much they like it.
Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
roundball
Beginner

Post by roundball »

I appreciate the reply and will go that route...just wanted to satisfy myself with 'due diligence' of trying to find out for sure before listing it, thanks