Model 1897

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Heehaw
Beginner

Model 1897

Post by Heehaw »

Brand new to the board (duh), looking to find a bit more info on a model 97 that belonged to my wife's grandfather. Not looking to find a value or sell it just curious and fascinated with the possible history of this rifle.
Enough pre-emp, we have a marlin model 97 with a serial number sequence that I can't find any decipherable info on, my hope is someone can give me some history or steer me to a place where I can find some better info on this family heirloom.

Model '97 with a serial # A36xx

So far I cant find anything with an alphabetical start to a serial # or a matching number sequence that doesn't predate 1833 which by common sense doesn't correspond to a 1897 patent date.
Any info or leads would be overwhelmingly appreciated for my in-laws family history.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1897

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

HeeHaw;

A Marlin Model '97 with an "A" prefix serial number is a gun made by either the Marlin Arms Corporation or the Marlin-Rockwell Corporation in the 1916/1917 era. The Marlin family sold the business in late 1915, and while waiting on war contracts, either of these corporations assembled sporting arms to keep employees busy. The "A" prefix guns being the first guns they made. There are no factory records during this time, so an exact ship date will not be possible.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Heehaw
Beginner

Re: Model 1897

Post by Heehaw »

Definitely helps, thank you. Best lead on how old the rifle might be so far, it's in pretty darn good shape for being that old. Especially considering I got it from my father in law a few years back an he had it wrapped in a towel in the corner of his garage. Yikes!
Cleaned up nicely, I lost a very small amount of bluing on the barrel where some of the heavier rust was.