Should I do this

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Dirigo
Beginner

Should I do this

Post by Dirigo »

I have recently sent my Marlin Model 1893 Takedown for a full restoration. The rifle was documented by the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum as shipped from the factory in 1903. There was a decent amount of bluing and case color and the wood is very good.

My question is: Am I shooting myself in the foot by having the rifle restored? Should I keep it as is? The work is being done by a well know restoration company and will take 8 months for the museum quality restoration.

Thanks for your input.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Should I do this

Post by Brent »

Only you can answer that question. As for whether I would do it, that depends on what is meant by "restoration". If it takes 8 mo and costs a bunch, chances are, it's not the type of restoration I would want.

What's best is what you want.
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

In the condition you describe, I would leave I alone, as it would be collectable in said condition. I don't think you could get resto fees back if you decide to sell later. Also, if you don't like the resto you can't put it back to original!!!

Just my 2cents, Clark
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dirigo;

There is a finite number of fine, old original guns out there. Once a gun has been refinished, there is one less.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I agree with Rick, once a gun is refinished :roll: it will be one less original gun left for the collecting community :(
Sounds like your gun if it was mine would be welcomed into my Home of Wayward Marlins in the condition it is in now. Refinished and it will never be called an honest gun.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Man, you guys are hard. You folks must hate custom rifles by guys like Niedner, Shellhammer, etc.

Do whatever makes you smile. And it will always be an honest gun. Always.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Big difference between custom built guns and guns being restore to look original. :wink: If I remember right Shellhamer lost a hand or the use of his hand when test firing an Adolph Otto Niedner rifle. :? I am big fan of Harry M. Pope even though he did remodel a number of original single shot rifles, but I guess he was using new guns of his time in a lot of instances.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."