Mystery Marlin Mannlicher?

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dbuffington
Beginner

Mystery Marlin Mannlicher?

Post by dbuffington »

Hi Folks!

I’m a Browning guy, but I’ve stumbled across this beautiful Marlin and would appreciate your help identifying it …

There is not a visible model number on the gun. (It may be under the tang sight. I don’t know, and since the gun does not belong to me, I cannot find out. This also explains the lousy photo. My apologies!) The last patent date is 1893. The serial number is 1736. The caliber is 32-20.

It has a case color receiver and 20-inch round barrel. The barrel is not blued (or every bit of the bluing is gone).

It has heavily figured wood. The buttstock is very well fitted with a hard rubber Marlin buttplate and Marlin “bullseye.” The Mannlicher-style forearm matches the buttstock and is also very well fitted.

Any idea what this is?

Thanks!
Dave
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Mystery Marlin Mannlicher?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dave;

What you are looking at is a Marlin Model '94, probably made sometime after 1921 by the serial number. The model marking will be under the tang mounted peep sight.
This particular Model '94 has been completely customized to someone's idea of a custom gun. The wood is new, both forearm and butt stock. Marlin never made a lever action rifle with a Mannlicher style forearm. If you want a custom gun, that one is fine, but if you are looking for a collectors item, stay away. The collector value is gone having been refinished and new wood.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.