Marlin Model 1894 "Baby Carbine"

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

lonewolf333
Beginner

Marlin Model 1894 "Baby Carbine"

Post by lonewolf333 »

I have a Marlin Model 1894 "Baby Carbine" Serial # 122217 marked V Kindler Saginaw. 20 inch Octagon barrel,caliber 38-40. It was my fathers gun and for a Christmas present fifty years ago I had it reblued of which about 60% remains.Didn't know then about value if I hadn't had it reblued. Can you tell me anything about this gun and what it might be worth to a collector.Thanks! Also on top of receiver is marked Marlin Safety.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 1894 "Baby Carbine"

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Lonewolf333;

Vincent Kindler was a gunsmith in Saginaw, Michigan from 1879 to 1899. He worked in Monroe, Michigan from 1868 to 1877. He probably is the gunsmith that modified your Marlin Model 1894. The serial number listed left the factory in New Haven, Ct. with a 24 inch octagon barrel in .38-40 caliber in mid-late 1895.
Baby Carbines are actually a carbine style gun, without a forearm cap, but carbine style bands or rings around the barrel and magazine tube. Baby Carbines have either a 15 inch barrel or a 20 inch barrel with a half magazine, and usually have a saddle ring mounted on the left side of the receiver. They do not have octagon barrels. If it were original, with a 20 inch barrel, it would be considered a short rifle.
Since the barrel (and magazine tube) have been shortened, and the gun has been reblued, the collector value is pretty much gone. Keep it as a family piece and enjoy the history of it being in the family as it has been.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
lonewolf333
Beginner

Post by lonewolf333 »

Thanks gunrunner. Disappointing but interesting. Since I have no one that would be interested in this gun once I passed on I was hoping some collector would be willing to purchase it and give it a good home. Oh well,I doubt that I would be happy with what I would be offered. Wondering if someone from Saginaw might be interested?
lonewolf333
Beginner

Post by lonewolf333 »

Called Doug William's Gun Shop in Saginaw who has some Kindler's rifles. Not interested because gun was reblued and the barrel shortened. Wow,I thought being the gun was worked on by Kindler they might be interested. Basically like most collectors or so called collectors they trashed it. I'm so tired of these people. I'm sure if I offered to sell it for a hundred they might consider.