Marlin Glenfield model 30A

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Pt929mm
Beginner

Marlin Glenfield model 30A

Post by Pt929mm »

About a decade ago I inherited a Marlin 30/30 Glenfield Model 30A from my grandfather. I put it our family gun safe and forgot about it. I was seeking any information I can find about this rifle. It is lever action, equipped with a Marlin scope. The serial number is 21000721, which from what I've read in the posts means it was manufactured in 1979. It also had a JM stamped on the barrel. It is in pristine condition, and it doesn't appear to have ever been fired. A coworker of mine offered to purchase it from me after I mentioned it. I would like to know what this rifle is worth because his offer of $250 seems kind of low in my opinion. But I guess that's why I'm here because I don't know. Any help is appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Glenfield model 30A

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Pt929mm;

Yeah, $250.00 is a little low. The Glenfield Model 30A is not the Marlin Model 336, but in another sense, it is. The main difference is that the Glenfield has a walnut stained hardwood stock (usually birch) whereas the Marlin as a walnut stock. Depending upon condition, with the scope, it should be in the $350.00 to $400.00 range. If it is pristine like you say, you might be able to coach a little more out of it. And yes, it was made in 1979.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Pt929mm
Beginner

Re: Marlin Glenfield model 30A

Post by Pt929mm »

Thank you for your reply. The more I look at the pics I took of this gun and the more I think about it, I might just keep it under lock and key. I would love to pass it on to my son, but I'd have to find a practical place for him to shoot it.