Model 92 Questions

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Shift47_brada
Beginner

Model 92 Questions

Post by Shift47_brada »

I was given a Marlin Model 92 by my grandfather. I am curious about the manufacture date and any other information I can find out about the rifle. It is a .32 rim fire. Serial number is 411091.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 92 Questions

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Shift47_brada;

There are no factory records for guns after serial number 355,500 in December of 1906. We can only estimate the production date of a gun with a serial number in the 411,000 range. As estimate of that date might be in the late 1911 or early to mid 1912 time frame.
The .32 caliber Model '92 is the .32 Colt cartridge. The .32 Colt cartridge was made either in a center or rim fire cartridge, and the Marlin Model '92 ( as well as the Model 1891 and 1892 ) chambered in .32 Colt caliber could fire either the rim or center fire cartridges by changing the firing pin. When the gun was new, it was supplied with both firing pins. The .32 Colt cartridge was also available in short, long and long rifle lengths, which the Marlin could handle without adjustment and interchangeably in the magazine tube.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Roundsworth
Beginner

Post by Roundsworth »

http://wisnersinc.com/web_layout/rifles ... flever.htm

Check this link for quality parts for your rifle. They list a centerfire firing pin that should get you up and running! Good luck.
GMC(SW), USN - Retired / 1978 - 2001
USS San Diego
USS Missouri
USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island
Shift47_brada
Beginner

Post by Shift47_brada »

Thank you both so much for your time and advice! I look forward to keeping this neat rifle in the family for a long time to come.