Steaming dents out of a stock

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

palabra
Pro-Marksman

Steaming dents out of a stock

Post by palabra »

I have read recently about steaming dents out of a stock. I am leery to trying it without getting more input on the results. If you have a stock with excellent varnish, a Marlin 1893 lets say, that has a big dent, can I steam it out? Will it leave any discoloration of the varnish? Will it remove the varnish? Will I see no effect to the varnish and the wood will magically raise? Are there any gunsmiths out there that are experts at doing this?

Thanks for your experiences in this area.
Roundsworth
Beginner

Re: Steaming dents out of a stock

Post by Roundsworth »

I have used a soldering iron, with various tips, and a thick cotton patch soaked with water to lift dents. Sometimes, only partial lifting occurs. Unfortunately, whatever is under the wet patch will be lifted, along with damaged wood fibers. The area will have to be touched up with some sort of finish. There may be a tell-tale sign of a dent, but it is usually an improvement. For the most part, I use the soldering gun on wood that is going to be refinished completely. Good luck!
GMC(SW), USN - Retired / 1978 - 2001
USS San Diego
USS Missouri
USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jerry;

It is very hard to get water to penetrate the original finish so as to soak into the damaged wood fibers. It is the expansion of the water in the wood fibers when heated that actually make the wood swell back up to close to original configuration. Without removing most of the original finish, the water just cannot get into the wood and even then, you could risk burning the wood if not careful. Best leave this one to the experts like Turnbull if it is a good piece, unless you plan on refinishing the stock.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
palabra
Pro-Marksman

Post by palabra »

I suspected that steaming was not as easy to do as the 'internet experts' said. Thanks for the information and see you at the IX.
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

I have steamed dents out of many stocks. ALL of them have been stripped of their original finish, to be re-finished. As Rick pointed out the water needs to penetrate into the wood fibers, and that is impossible with finish still on the wood.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
azhusker
Pro-Marksman

Post by azhusker »

I agree that steaming dents is only practical when you're completely refinishing the wood. Strip the finish first and avoid sanding which can damage the wood-to-metal fit. I put the wood in the dishwasher -- when my wife isn't home, obviously -- and the small dents disappear and the deep dents improve. Residue from the striping is removed and the wood comes out looking like new. Allow to dry for a day or two. Deep dents break the wood fibers and steaming causes the broken ends to raise up. Lightly sand or steel wool until smooth and then start the refinish process.
Cornhusker Dave