Need Help to ID Marlin Lever Ideal .32

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

chuckwalley
Beginner

Need Help to ID Marlin Lever Ideal .32

Post by chuckwalley »

My father left me a Marlin rifle that had been passed to him from his uncle. I am considering selling it and seek information and advise from knowledgeable persons. It has several markings, including the following:

Marlin Fire Arms Co. New Haven Conn. U.S.A.
Patented Feb. 9, 1875
Ballard's Patent Nov. 5, 1861

.32 Ideal

Rebored & Rifled by Stevens A & T Co.
Chicopee Falls, Mass

It has an octagon barrel and is stamped with a Serial Number of 24159 (I believe that this is the serial number - it is located on the bottom of the gun just forward of the lever and behind the forward stock).

I considered selling this gun about seven years ago and, at the time, was able to locate what appeared to be the same model on an online gun dealer site. I forwarded photos to the owner and was told that it was, indeed, the same gun he had for sale for $4000. He also mentioned that the sight on my gun was not the original, and was a military sight that would bring about $500 itself.

Any information that can be provided about this gun in order that I can make an educated decision should I decide to part with this family heirloom would be greatly appreciated. I will gladly forward photos should someone wish to view the gun. I can say with every confidence that it is in mint condition. Thanks!