Model 27S Age

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MRBIT
Beginner

Model 27S Age

Post by MRBIT »

My wife's father passed away and we found a Model 27S in 25-20 (along with several other rifles and pistols) that he had stashed away. I found the sn after some online guidance but am curious as to when it may have been mfg'd? The sn is 11XXX. As a younger man he was a cowboy in Eastern Colorado and this must have been his varmint rifle. It shows its wear but functions well. May have to consider reloading based on the cost of ammo for this beauty. I look forward to any information you can provide.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 27S Age

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mr. Bit;

The Marlin Model 27 S was made from 1913 to 1932. There are some characteristics that may help narrow down the date your Model 27 S was made.
Does your rifle have the trademark "bullseye" inlaid in the toe of the stock? Is there a small star stamped on the upper tang, behind the hammer along with the model number? Does the barrel marking have Marlin Firearms Corporation or Marlin Firearms Company stamped on the barrel?
These things will help some, but it will be mostly an estimate as to when it was made as there are no records for any of the pump action Marlin rifles.
Looking forward to your reply.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
MRBIT
Beginner

Re: Model 27S Age

Post by MRBIT »

Thanks for the quick reply. There is no bullseye on the butt stock and the upper tang only has the word Marlin in script and then under a large capital N followed by a very small o then 27-S. There is a small letter u that is stamped below the hammer and can only be seen when the hammer is cocked. The barrel says Marlin Firearms Co. in script and then New - Haven. CT. USA in all capitals. All the patent dates are listed below the name. The top of the barrel just in front of the receiver says 25-20 M and the side of the barrel says Special Smokless Steel in large caps. The last 3 digits of the serial number are stamped inside the receiver on the right side. The full serial number is on the left side of the upper tang. Unfortunately, the rifle is not is real good condition. The butt stock is cracked and repaired and the feedtube has a crack in it. There are lots of dings and scraps. We believe this rifle was his daily carry rifle when he was a cowboy in the 1930's. I am not sure when this was last fired but the box of Remingtion ammo he had with it dates to the early 1930's by the package design (pre Du Pont) and I don't think it was cleaned since being put away in the attic when he was married in 1940. My plan is to clean it up as best possible and get whatever information I can so that my sons and grandkids will have an understanding of it's history. I do understand the sn issue. Not sure how many 27S were made per year but I would think a 11XXX sn would put it fairly early in the manufacturing period. Thanks again!