Model 17 maybe?

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

krbc4
Beginner

Model 17 maybe?

Post by krbc4 »

I have a 12 gauge Marlin that has more information about the patents then the gun - called Marlin they seem to think it should be a Model 17 by the patd date but that's all he could give me, and I found nothing on their site or anywhere else.
The only number on the gun is 3448 but it doesn't say it's seriel number and all we know it's a single barrel 12g
Patd USA Mar 24, May 19 1908, Nov 23 1909, 2 Patent - Patents Pending (all this is on the gun)
can anyone offer any advise as far as a manufacturing date or value or where I should look next - I would appreciate any input.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 17 maybe?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Krbc4;

Maybe a little more information is required here before we can determine what you have. Is this an exposed hammer, pump action shotgun? If it is, there should be a "hang fire safety" release button or lever to allow the action to open if the gun has not been fired. Is the release a button, up near the hammer, or is it a lever, down near the trigger? Is this shotgun a takedown action, or is it a solid frame gun that cannot be taken down?
A photo of the gun is the best way to help us determine what you have if you can post a picture of it. Most Model 17's had the model number stamped on the upper tang, behind the hammer. Your serial number is odd for a Model 17, unless it is a gun made during WW I from parts on hand by either the Marlin Firearms Corporation or by Marlin-Rockwell Corporation. Those patent dates do not corellate with a Model 17 unless it is an assembled gun during WW I.
Looking forward to your reply......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.