VERY rare Marlin model 90 combo 16ga/25-35 Win

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Matthew Kelley
Beginner

VERY rare Marlin model 90 combo 16ga/25-35 Win

Post by Matthew Kelley »

I am looking for ANY information and someone who might be interested in a Marlin model 90 combo with a 16ga. on top and a 25-35 Winchester rifle on bottom. I have spoken to the experts from the Marlin company and they have informed me that due to a fire in the past that burned all the records of this particular combo and others, there just is not very much info available. It is in mint condition and all numbers match. The only thing I have found out is that it was originally sold from the Sears and Roebucks catalog. Any information that someone could add to this unique weapon would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Matthew Kelley
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Re: VERY rare Marlin model 90 combo 16ga/25-35 Win

Post by Wishbone »

Every once in a while, I see this claim that there was a fire at the Marlin factory which destroyed some of the factory records. As far as I know, this is false and I don't know why it keeps surfacing. I believe the fact is that during certain periods, for whatever reason, Marlin failed to keep accurate (if any) records. This makes for some interesting collecting, lots of false speculation and a lot of "experts".

Good luck in finding info on your combo gun. Some good pictures would help the experts here help you.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
lever addict
Beginner

Post by lever addict »

Yes the fire! Who knows for sure...but Marlin told you this? Maybe there was! No one sais the building had to burn to the ground. Maybe just some records were destroyed? I guess that's when you could smoke on the job! LOL! :lol:
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Mathew,
what else can you tell us about the gun? What is the serial number? Is it open or is it closed between the barrels? Any pictures?

Sears sold the model 90 under the Ranger 103.xx designation prior to WWII and as the JC Higgins 103.xx after the war.

What you have is interesting because all of the Model 90 combos I've seen or heard about have the rifle barrel on top and the shotgun on the bottom. While Brophy's nearly 700-page book on Marlin Firearms may not be complete, it does not mention Marlin making any Model 90 combos in that configuration.

A friend who has a large collection of Model 90's once told me that many years ago he saw ads by someone saying they could, on request, assemble any combination of rifle or shotgun barrels for Model 90 frames. Marlin also may have offered special order guns.

Does anyone know if Marlin made rifles bored for the 25-35 Wnchester?
BarkeyVA