How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mike1951
Beginner

Re: How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Post by Mike1951 »

I must confess to having never fired it. That applies to many of the purchases I've made in the last few years due to mobility issues. For quite some time, I looked for a deal on the earlier, long barrel, 18 rd mag model 60s. I finally gave up and ordered the 60SS from Bud's. Fit and finish is excellent. I bought one of the Weaver Classic rimfire scopes in silver, 2.5x7x28, but have yet to mount it.

Yesterday, I bought a 1975 Glenfield 60, squirrel stock in excellent condition, almost appears new. Trying to decide what to mount on it. I've got some new Weaver K4s and K6s. Also, a Simmons Whitetail Classis, 3.5x10, but that seems overkill. Leaning toward a K4.

Mike
Michele720
Beginner

Post by Michele720 »

Can you tell me the year of this one? I don't even see a "T" in the list above.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Michele720;

The "T" prefix is for 1960. Your 90th Anniversary Model 39 Mountie is a limited production gun with only 500 produced. By the serial number, it was packaged at the factory on July 22, 1960 and shipped the same day to Kirtland Brothers of New York City.
I have some bad news here, I see some corrision on the lower tang and around the trigger. You need to address this situation as it will not get better by itself and will only get worse, This will affect the value of your gun in the future if it is not corrected quickly. I also see in your other photograph that the original rear sight has been removed and a receiver mounted receiver sight has been installed. This will affect the value. I hope you still of the original barrel mounted, rear sight.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
tac1971
Beginner

Post by tac1971 »

I was wondering how old my Marlin 336-R.C. 30 30 is? The serial number is R 1149. The number 4 in the serial number is not in line with the rest of the numbers either, it's is raised higher than the rest. What's that all about? From what I read the letter R represents 1958 I think. What do the rest of the numbers mean? What is the approximate worth in good condition? Thanks for any help you can give.
Blue Sky Bob
Beginner

Post by Blue Sky Bob »

Help!

I have a Marlin Lever Action .22LR Model #TDS010xx.
IT is driving me crazy trying to figure out when it was made.

I heard that when they first started to produce these in 1988, it was just numbered with the # made. I.E.TDS 01045
would be the 1045 rifle made with no reference to month or year. Is something like this close?

Any idea on how many were made per year and total?

THANKS!

Bob
JRP805
Beginner

Post by JRP805 »

I try not to be thick sometimes - but some things just confuse me. I just inherited the very first gun I ever shot (when I was 5, 6 or 7 if my memory serves me correctly - I am now 47). It is a Glenfield Model 25. It has both a serial number AND code stamped into the barrel - so I get conflicting dates from the information presented on this page. The SN is 72377422 (Which leads me to believe it was Mfr in 1972) and there is a code stamped into the barrel that says JM (Which leads me to believe it was Mfr in ((J)Oct (M)1969) Or if you use the subtract from 100 code - I get a Mfr of 1928 - which I am pretty sure is not correct . So as you can see - Using the information on this page I get three different mfr dates. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Really appreciate it - and thanks to everyone for the tons of info on this forum about marlins and Glenfields. I have not had the opportunity to shoot since getting this gun - needs a little work, spare parts, a VERY good cleaning and some TLC - but the childhood memories of this .22 are priceless. Thanks again
John P
JRP805
Beginner

Post by JRP805 »

Now that I have read things a little closer - I think I have my answer. From what I have read here (and a few other sites) I believe the "JM" in the circle is the Marlin trademark (?) So going with that - since my serial number starts with 72 - I believe this was mfr in 1972. Please feel free to correct me if any of that sounds off. Everyone have an awesome day - JP
Prairie Buck
Beginner

Remlin s/n vs year of production

Post by Prairie Buck »

Is there any data out there on the Remington Marlins about serial number versus year of production? I have Remington Marlin Model 1894 in .44 Rem Mag, serial number MR271xxE. At first I thought it was new enough that some of the bugs had been solved. Now I am not so sure. This is my first Remlin. It is joining 13 other lever Marlins ranging from 1st year run of the 1894 thru to the early 1990's.
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

I own a 1893 30-30 has a 20 inch long octagonal barrel. 5 shot mag. bulls eye on stock.steel butt plate on stock. It has the "special smokeless steel" on barrel as well as the "Marlin Fire Arms Co. New Haven CT" and serial number under lever action is 7726.... gun was looked at by Ted Oven, of North East Traders in Plainville, ma.(rt 152) I have done research and it says it was an 1884.. Can anyone help me out. its a family heirloom.. trying to figure out more information to determine value
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

devperry wrote:I own a 1893 30-30 has a 20 inch long octagonal barrel. 5 shot mag. bulls eye on stock.steel butt plate on stock. It has the "special smokeless steel" on barrel as well as the "Marlin Fire Arms Co. New Haven CT" and serial number under lever action is 7726.... gun was looked at by Ted Oven, of North East Traders in Plainville, ma.(rt 152) I have done research and it says it was an 1884.. Can anyone help me out. its a family heirloom.. trying to figure out more information to determine value
Late 1920's manufacture would be my best guess. The "bullseye" didn't start until around 1923. Serial number is one of the later restarts. Serial number under the lever is usually late 20's, and even early 1930's.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

after doing reasearch, i have seen model 93's that are origional. octagonal barrel. the stamp on barrel. the bulls eye i saw yesterday on gun broker on older guns. I do not think it was make in the 20's or 30's no ring on stock as the other appear.... marlin registry says its an 1884.. the owner of north east traders who did the initial research is a very respected guy who knows his guns. marlin made after 1916-1919 had prefix. a b c d.. i read yesterday.. so i guess its back to the drawing board
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

Marlin Lever Action Rifle Serial Numbers 1883 to 1906
(Including Models 1881, 1888, 1889, 1891, 1892, 1893, 1894, 1895 and 1897.) Note that records are chaotic as all models were numbered in a single serial number range, and numbers are often duplicated, and the dates recorded are apparently shipping dates, not dates of manufacture. Brophy studied the records and came up with the following as dates of manufacture.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Devperry;

You are not back at the drawing board. This Marlin Model '93 is a 1920's,maybe 1930's gun. It is not possible for a Model 1893 or '93 to have been made in 1884! The Model 1893 did not come out until 1893.
The fact that your gun's serial number is under the lever puts the time after 1921. Guns with a letter prefix to the serial number (A,B,C, and D) and is located up near the forearm are guns made between 1916 and 1920. There are guns made after 1921 that can have the letter prefix, but those serial numbers are back, under the lever. The Marlin Firearms Corporation moved the serial number back under the lever and was continued by the Marlin Firearms Company after 1924.
Your gun has a bullseye, started by the Marlin Firearms Corporation about 1922/1923. The Marlin Firearms Corporation used many leftover parts from the original Marlin Firearms Company founded by John M. Marlin. This was right after WW I, and money was scarce to get things up and running for the new corporation, so any and all leftover parts were used to save money and get the product out to the public.
Serial numbers after 1916 are more problematic than serial number prior to 1916. Marlin used a single serial number system for the lever action rifles (Shotguns and pump rifles had their own sequences) from 1881 to 1916 when the Marlin family sold out. I have copies of Brophy's serial number notes recording highs and lows of serial numbers observed by him. His high number for the original series was in the 465,000 range which would be about right to end in late 1915.
I hope this clears things up for you.......

devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

thank you for clearing up my dilemma. what do you think the gun is valued at? When I had it looked at I was told it was a real gun from that time period. it still is, but just a little younger. Ted printed out papers saying it was in 90% condition, almost perfect. said it would probably be around $1500-2500.. and to the right collector, upwards of 5k... seeing you have set it pretty clear, do u have any idea? i didnt know if it was a special model bc of the 5 round mag, the front sight is just like the carbine's, but u also stated that it was a bunch of parts thrown together..
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Devperry;

Your gun is not necessarily a "bunch of parts thrown together". There were guns actually being manufactured, but during the war, and for a short time after, many of the guns made were from leftover parts.
If your gun is truly a 90% gun, then the price stated would be a fair estimate of value. It is highly unlikely that a standard, run of the mill gun made at that time would get anywhere near a 5k figure. It would have to have a substantial history with provenance and condition to generate that kind of value.