How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure who said it was "a bunch of parts thrown together"? But I re-read my reply, an didn't see anything of that sort? I'd have to see pictures to say the value of your gun myself.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

i will take pictures and up load them. Because i looked on gun broker at all of the 30-30 marlins.1893 models. and i couldn't find an exact match but very close. and it was the carbine model, but i dont have the flip up military rear sight, and barrel length..Image.... this is the size of my magazine. 5.. 4 in and one in chamber..... Mine does not have the ring after the wooden stock..... bottom line is I need to do what is best for it.. if it was altered or if this gun was something special. or did someone put it together and micky mouse it.. I have shot this gun. its awesome. i had it looked at to start and the owner at NorthEast Traders, Ted Oven.. was who got my wheels spinning.Went online and printed out paperwork. said it was in 90% -95%. dont shoot it anymore.. so its been in safe. Now I want to figure out everything I can about this history piece. Its either over 100 years or real close.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Devperry;

If this is your gun in the photo, then it not a 90% gun. It has less than 50% case colors left on the receiver and the finish on the wood appears to be quite worn as well. There is edge wear on the blue on the barrel. The good news is that it is a takedown action and has a tang mounted sight which helps the value.
The gun you described is not 100 years old yet. It was made after 1921, so there are a few years to go. Your gun should be safe to shoot since it was made after smokeless ammunition came out in 1895. Have the headspace checked and just go easy on the pressures.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

It appears your '93 takedown has a carbine style buttstock/plate on it. If you pull the stock and buttplate, you should see a serial number stamped under the top tang on the stock, and on the inside of the buttplate. If the number matches the gun's serial number, then it was sent that way from the factory. If they don't match, then the stock was swapped on your gun by some previous owner.
I agree with Regnier. Your gun is far from 90%. I'd expect more brilliant case colors, and better bluing, and stock finish to be a 90% gun. Like this picture:
http://www.rockislandauction.com/photos ... -CU1-L.jpg
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

this is not my gun, i said was from gun broker, and the magizine was about 4 inches past the wood, no way it holds 10. this is what my magizine looks like. i have plenty of colors in the action part of the gun. i will take picture so i will get more information, thank you all with the information. which is the best way to post picture. take them on my phone and send them to my email. and save them to my computer? then upload them/>
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

i just looked at that picture, yes mine has the colors, but not as brilliant as that. so now i understand.... can it actually be done that way again. parkerizing and all the other stuff to restore a gun to its glory days, nib...? i work on cars and i didnt know if a gun could go through a long processes to get there
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, your Marlin can be restored to as new look. Probably will not be cheap, but it can look new. I personally think Al Springer does the best Marlin restorations around. His work is perfect! Colors that match original Marlin colors.
http://smbgunrestorations.com/page5.html

One of Al's Marlin restorations:
http://smbgunrestorations.com/gallery/i ... G_0985.JPG
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

having it restored, will it go up in value? or is it worth more the way it is. I do restorations on old cars. Some are worth more not touched and some are worth more restored.. its a fine line, but the owner makes the decision, money up or leave it..
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

It really depends on the gun's condition, originality, special order features. If a gun is properly restored, it can go up significantly. If it's not done right, it usually wont increase in value. Not much different than a proper car restoration, vs. one not done to factory specs.
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

my 1893 has the number of 7726 on the lower tang and the number is on the meal butt stock when you remove it. It has a bulls eye behind lower tang on stock... its a 30-30.... barrel is 20 inches... 5 round mag.... 4 inches past metal on front stock.. octagonal barrel "Marlin Fire-arms Co"." Special Smokeless Steel".. On the top of the receiver "Marlin Safety"... I took off front stock and on barrel it had a marking of " JM" or its "JMM".. when you cock the hammer, there is a "Z" visable on the metal that is shown when hammer is fully cocked.. on the upper tang is says " Marlin Model 93"

I tried to take off the wooden stock, the 2 set screws and the upper tang screw. but then the lower tang has the 2 that i dont know how to get at. looked on you tube for a video or something on the internet about removing the stock.. i was told the serial number should be stamped under the upper tang .

I will send it to Snowy Mountain blue restorations in Montana.... I will put pictures up. need to take them and send them to my e-mail then save them, so i can get a url for the pictures, unless you have a different way to put them on here, bc there is not an upload images button. just IMG and URL...
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

the "JMM" wouldnt stand for John M. Marlin.. its can only be seen if u take the front stock off and look at the barrel, its clear as day.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The large screw on the rear of the upper tang is the only screw that needs to come out to remove the buttstock. After that it most likely needs a little coaxing to slip off, if it hasn't been off for many years. I usually use a rubber mallet to tap rearward on the top comb. Once it begins to move you should be able to pull it back.
The JM stamp was on all Marlin barrels, which does stand for John Marlin. If yours has an extra "M", it's probably an accidental double stamp, and not intentional.
devperry
Beginner

Post by devperry »

once the stock was off, I found the stock was stamped with the number on the bottom inside stock, the upper tang was stamped on left side and had 2 stars stamped in after number. The backside of butt plate is stamped and it has the visible number stamped on the lower tang under the lever. There was a "7" stamped on the left side of receiver where the stock slides between the 2 tangs. The gun is original. so the 20 in barrel is correct with everything else... i'm thinking its a special order. i have not found a gun that even comes close to it.

how do I upload a picture? i toomk pics. on phone. sent them to my e-mail and saved them. then tried to right click , copy and paste. no go.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Devperry;

To see how to post pictures, go to the section titled "NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS" and scroll down through the posts to one titled "Old Marlin in New Zealand". In that post is very good instructions posted by Road King on how to post pictures to this site.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
SweepRider
Beginner

Post by SweepRider »

I purchased a Marlin 336w 30-30 lever action on June 24, 2016.
The first part of the serial number is MR 83XXXX.
The system of 2000 - 83 = 1917 or 17 for 2017. That is impossible
since 2017 is obviously not here yet and the rifle was purchased in 2016.
That dating system is wrong.