How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sweeprider;

The "MR" in your serial number indicates that this is a Remington made gun. When Remington purchased Marlin, the old serial number system was changed to another system. We do not know their system and they apparently are not telling anyone how to interpret the system they use. So, this system of subtracting the first two digits from 100 only works on guns made while the Kenna family owned the company.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Remington uses code letters on the barrel to designate the month and year of production. Unfortunately their system isn't as simple as Marlin was. You can contact Remington, or look in a newer Bluebook of Gun Values, to see what the 2 letter code represents.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Thanks Vall, I did not know that the serial number code for Remington built guns was now available. This helps!

evansmoe
Beginner

Post by evansmoe »

Found a Marlin Model 39A with a serial number of: B6318 Could someone please tell me when this rifle was manufactured? Best I can tell with the research I've done so far is 1941. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Evansmoe;

That would be correct. Marlin started in 1940 with the letter "A" (seldom seen) and continued on from there. The letter "C" was not used until 1946 after the war had ended and regular sporting arms production re-started.

bennettr
Beginner

Post by bennettr »

Hello there! My Marlin 32, serial #416300. Do you have any history on it? Worth?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Bennettr;

Is your Marlin a 32 caliber? The serial number range indicates it was made prior to 1915, but it could be a Marlin Model 1892 (.32 Colt), Model 1894 (.32-20), or a Model 1893 (.32-40 or .32 H.P.S.). Any of these models are marked on the upper tang, behind the hammer.
The only Model 32 Marlin was made in 1915, a .22 caliber, hammerless pump action rifle that was made in very limited quantities.

Wolfmanmb
Beginner

Post by Wolfmanmb »

Hi, just picked up a 39a with serial number of 382 under lever and parts of the number stamped on inside of action once opened and last number on back of hammer. Can anyone tell me if this is really an early 1939 version. Thanks for any input.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If your gun does not have "39A" stamped on the barrel, then I'd guess it's got a tang sight on the top tang, behind the lever? If you remove the tang sight I'd also bet you'll find Model '39 stamped on the top tang. The serial number you posted indicates it likely is a Model 39, and not 39A. I'd guess it also is an octagon barreled gun too?
Edju
Beginner

Post by Edju »

Hi
I can't seem to find the answer foe my SN# in this thread. I was wondering if you can help me determine the year of my gun.
It is a 22 original golden 39M with no letters in the sn#, the sn starts with 7201.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Edju;

1972. For about 4 years, ( 1968 to 1972 ) Marlin used the first two digits of the serial number to indicate the year of manufacture. Dealers complained that by using that system, Marlin was "dating" the inventory. Marlin changed the system in 1973 to subtract the the last two digits of the year from 100 to start the serial number. (i.e. 100 - 27 = 73 or 1973 )

Edju
Beginner

Post by Edju »

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and the interesting history behind the SN#.
Very much appreciated.
mbbiker
Beginner

Post by mbbiker »

I recently inherited a Marlin model 81 with a miro groove barrel but no serial # so I know its from the 60s. My problem is the 2 letter date code stamped on the left side is FA and any list I come across theres no A on the year list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I'll work on posting a picture
Cea
Beginner

Post by Cea »

Newby here. I have a cracked buffer and am trying to determine the year of manufacture for my 75C as I believe they made two different buffers. One has a .1 diameter mounting hole and the other has a .155 diameter hole?
The rifle I have is one I purchased new in the early 70's and is clearly stamped 75C on the top of the barrel, with a serial number of 193162006 and a badly stamped left side barrel in front of the reciever with a J and what looks like the top of an A.
Everything I've seen so far says this rifle was manufactured in 1981 from the serial number.
Conflicting information says that "Early model 75C rifles have the earlier style front sight and flat barrel band while later model 75C rifles have the later style front sight and the barrel band was omitted."
Mine has the flat barrel band and what looks to me like the early front sight.
Just for reference, I know this rifle is earlier than 1981 because I bought it with a scope and when we had a fire in 1979 the scope got scorched.
Thanks for any help...
Cea
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Your serial number indicates a full decade later than your purchase date I believe. first two digits being 19 would suggest 1981 mfg. So not sure what's going on, since you obviously know when you purchased it for sure?