Nomenclature

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dickaye
Marksman

Nomenclature

Post by dickaye »

Rick,

When I created my "pre 1899 lever action wall hanging" I identified the 21 guns In this format. Example: Marlin 1889 Rifle .32-20 mfd 1891 It probably doesn't matter what I put on my photos since it is my creation, but is there a normal nomenclature? Did I leave something out? Did I say too much? What say you?

Rich
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Nomenclature

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Richard;

When I make labels up for a display, I usually (as in always) list the model, serial number, caliber, a description (i.e. checkered pistol grip stock, lyman #1 tang sight, lyman #5 front sight, 24 inch half-octagon barrel, factory engraved #3, silver plated, hard rubber MFCo butt plate, etc.) and then last, the ship date if known. This information identifies that piece as completely as possible. I also keep a "little black book" with the same information that I can carry with me to shows, "just in case...."
You do what you feel comfortable with, some people do not like to reveal serial numbers of their pieces, but the rest of the information helps anyone that is looking at your stuff.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.