Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BillyHill
Beginner

Post by BillyHill »

I just purchased an 1893 30-30 with 24" octagon barrel serial # 24****. According to the info I have so far it was built in 1902. I had it out to the range and it is a good shooter. My problem is I have to sigh way to low at 100 yrds. There are 2 screws in the tang behind the hammer where it looks like a tang sight once lived. Q # 1, were they all machined for a receiver sight or was this an add on? The other thing I'm wondering is which front sight would this rifle have had originally? One guy at the gun show tried to sell me a supposed original Rocky Mountain front sight for $85. I just shook my head and walked away. I'm pretty handy and I know I could make a one but is the Rocky mountain sight what it came with, and would it correct the sighting for a 150-200 yrd zero.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1893

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BillyHill;

A Rocky Mountain sight is not a Rocky Mountain sight for just any gun! There were at least 3 different sight heights available from Marlin, depending upon what model of gun or caliber of gun within a model the sight is for.
Nearly all Marlins made from 1881 up to about 1940 (and some after that) were drilled and tapped for a tang mounted sight. After August of 1903, all Marlins receiver top was drilled and tapped for the Marlin-Hepburn receiver sight. Now, Lyman made a side mounted receiver sight called the "climin' Lyman" or Model 21. When a customer ordered his Marlin with the #21 sight, Marlin sent the gun over to Lyman to mount the sight before it was sent to the customer. These sights are somewhat scarce and have some collector interest.
If you are having to sight low, then you need a taller sight, to bring the barrel down to put the sights on target. You could use a Lyman #3 front sigth with a bead sight so long as it has a .445 height. That is the sight listed for a Model 93 in .30-30 caliber. Considwer this, that a .445 sight height is nearly 1/2inch tall. What height is the sight currently on the gun?
Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.