Jack Cook

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Jack Cook

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Richard;

This book is not a reprint, it is a new publication by Citizen Jack Cook (his discription) and Cornell Publishing. Cornell is the publisher of this book and no one else has ever printed prior to this. Believe me, do not waste the money on this book, it is just not worth it. Find an old copy of Bill West's book if you want another resource for Marlin information. At least, he (Mr. Bill West) got more right than Citizen Jack Cook did. Ane, that is saying alot, because if I would have ever met Mr. West in person, I would have had to restrain myself from strangling him on the spot.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Rick,

Are there a lot of mistakes in Brophy or just a few?

Richard..............
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Richard;

There are some mistakes in Brophy, but most of them are due to the fact that the book was printed in 1989, and a lot of new, correct information has come to light since it was published. Some errors were because originally it was not to be a "complete" book, but just on the lever action guns. But, the Kenna's wanted a "complete" book, so that made for a lot more, but, unfortunately sometimes incomplete research on Bill's part. Bill developed cancer, so some things were hurried a little to insure the book got out. But, for the most part, it was, and still is the best Marlin book available today. I can live with the few mistakes that are there, just have to know what is now right.

Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

dickaye wrote:Hello,
So I plugged "Jack Cook and Marlin Firearms" into my search engine and all sorts of stuff seems to be available. "Marlinowners.com" has a dialog going on that is fairly positive about Mr. Cook and his "new" book with some discussion that coming from Cornell it could be a reprint. Ebay offers the book at $59.95 if anyone wants a bargain, LOL. Regnier and association have pretty much talked me into just letting it go, but it seems there are lots of folks out there who may bite........Dickaye
Marlinowners.com is run by know nothing morons with Hilter complexes and populated by those that know nothing, especially about Marlins.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Getlemen;

Conell Publishing has decided to cease publishing the book for now. It seems Citizen Jack Cook used quite a bit of copyrighted material without giving the proper citiations as to where he got the information or giving the proper credit to the original publications he got his information and pictures from. Citizen Jack Cook did admit he copied photos and information from the internet and publications without citing his source, which is not legal in the publishing world. He copied a photo from a friend of mine website, without citing the source. And, after I told him that a photo from his website was in the book, he contaceted Cornell. (the reason Cornell is no longer publishing the book) Websites by right has a copyright protection and cannot have photos or information "lifted" without citing the source.
So, if you have a copy of the book, you may have a "Marlin" collectable.............then again, maybe NOT!

marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Jacks book is a piece of work, I hadn't thought about the collector value that's something
to think about. Rick I hope I have made us rich ? maybe maybe not. I still wonder
how many books were sold. Of all the books I have bought over the years it is the ony
one I can say I will never get out and read again. Rick we may have to give you a new
name The Marlin Police keep up the good work!!!!!!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Marlin 1893;

Well, it is not like we lost a great scholarly piece of work here. There were just to many errors overall, and mis-identified photos that contributed to the dimise of this work, along with Citizen Jack Cook's lack of understanding of how the publishing world works. I guess we will see if it makes a comeback with the necessary publishing corrections. The information will still be wrong, but it would take someone with knowledge to review the book prior to printing for the information corrections to help the author.