Help, What model is this 32-20 Marlin safety.

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

brucewhitcomb@hotmail.com

Help, What model is this 32-20 Marlin safety.

Post by brucewhitcomb@hotmail.com »

I have a early model 32-20 Marlin Safety with a serial number of 87590, lever action, octagon barrel, Patented on Oct 11, 1887, Apr 2, 1889, Aug 1, 1893. This rifle is in original manufacture shape. Can anyone help me with attaining information on this rifle, ie. history, value. You may contact me at brucewhitcomb@hotmail.com
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

With an 1894 barrel.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.

1889 model 32-20 marlin

Thank you very much for the information. Do you know if this rifle has any worth as collectable item? Have you any knowledge of what a rifle as this one would be worth as a collectable or to a collector. This rifle was handed down through the family from the original owner. From what I understand approx. 100 rounds have only fired through it. This rifle has no rust, scratches, etc., mint condition and working condition. If you have any knowledge of an approximate value I would love to hear. Thanks again, Bruce

1894 barrel?

Is this right? Why or are they made that way ie., with an octagon barrel
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Most guns from the late 1800's were made with octagon barrels. It was just what people found most asthetically pleasing, (and many still do!)
They are a bit heavier, and a bit stiffer, but this was just an added bonus.
Without seeing your gun, it would not be fair to give you a value. Too many variables beyond condition, such as special order features. Also, the fact that your family heirloom may have a 1894 barrel, which would be incorrect for your gun, would affect the value also. The excellent condition, may be original, or excellent-refinished. Without knowing for sure, it's tough to estimate sight unseen.
If you emailed me a few pictures, I could give you a general idea.
Hope you understand.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!

Pictures of rifle

I will try to get some photos taken of it tomarrow or thursday and e-mail them to you. Thanks, Bruce

I have pics of the rifle

Marlinman, How can I send you the pictures of this rifle? I have them waiting. Bruce
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

marlinguy@juno.com
My email has a size limit on pictures, so if the jpeg file is too large, you might have to send them a couple at a time.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!