New to the forum, and I have a question about my 30-30

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

New to the forum, and I have a question about my 30-30

Post by Guest »

I've not been able to find out much about this rifle. It is a marlin 30-30 "Golden Fifty". I reckon it was a comemative maybe, but not sure. Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction so as to find out the date of manufacture of my beloved rifle.

I'm also looking into purchasing a model 336Y "Spikehorn" youth model for my daughter, hopefully before Christmas. If anyone has one that is in good shape, let me know. I appreciate the help!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

I believe the GoldenFifty was a rifle made by Marlin for another company. As to the age if they used Marlin serial numbers then we can tell the year of manufacture by the serial number, if you post it with ** as the last two numbers we can tell you the year of manufacture.
GBOT, GBUSA

Post by Guest »

Took a look at it today and it is a Marlin Glenfield.....serial 260609** It's a walnut stock with deer carved into the stock. I got it when I was young around 1979, and it's the only rifle I use to hunt with. I can't find the Golden 50 in the 30-30 caliber in the rifle book at wal-mart or on the net. I sure would appreciate the help.

Dave
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Your rifle was manufactured in 1974, the reason for the ** is so someone cant right down your number report the rifle stolen and then cause all kinds of problems for you. Have no first hand knowledge of that happening but better safe than sorry. The Glenfield line is identicle to the Marlin 336 line except a hardwood, usually birch, was used for the stocks to be less exspensive. The deer carved into the stock was a promotion, I believe they also had one with a squirel and at least one other. I am sure one of the requlars who has more info on the Glenfield line can perhaps add a little more info for you. If you check your local library they may have or be able to obtain the book Marlin Firearms, The History Of The Guns And The Company That Made Them, by Lt. Col. William S. Brophy. It is the best and most complete book on Marlins that I know of.
GBOT, GBUSA

Post by Guest »

Yes, I got an email last night and indeed it was a promotion for Otasco, which I found extremely interesting since I have shopped in the otasco store here in Corsicana. It's been out of buisness for quite awhile now, but I do remember my step dad shopping there with some regularity. My rifle was made in 1969, which means I'm hunting with a 35 year old chunck of iron that I'm most proud of. Looks like about 1960 of them were made for this promotion along with some 22 calibers as well. I was also told my rifle is a Marlin Model 30 A.

Thanks for your help fellas, and Rick! This rifle may not be a collectors piece to some, but it has very sentimental value to me, and it's never missed a deer and all with 1 shot kills for the past 15 years or so.

Again, I appreciate the response and effort from all!

Post by Guest »

excuse me 1900 of em made....I can't find the edit button! lol