Marlin 1894 in 25-20 with blued receiver

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Lever Nut

Marlin 1894 in 25-20 with blued receiver

Post by Lever Nut »

Hi, Any chance a Marlin 25-20 made in the early 1900's had a blued receiver from the factory in rifle form? I thought they were all supposed to be color cased except for carbines and muskets. Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Lever Nut;

Anything could be special ordered at that time. There are instances in the old factory records where guns that normally had case-colored recievers are listed as having a blued reciever. A normally blued gun could be case-colored for a grand sum of 75 cents.
It might be wise to check the records to see if this gun was ordered as a blued gun. Maybe it will be listed, and maybe not. Does the blue look right? Compare the blued reciever to an original blued reciever.
Good luck. I hope this helps.
Lever Nut

Marlin 1894

Post by Lever Nut »

I don't have anything to compare it to. The guy selling it says it has an excellent bore and it's in 25-20. He sent me pictures of the receiver and barrel markings because I thought if I looked at them I might be able to tell it it was a reblue but even after looking at the pictures I'm still wondering. I can pick it up for 500.00 which to me is a steal but if it's a reblued gun I don't care to buy it.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If you can't see the gun, then you have two options. Either pass on it, or get the seller to confirm a three day inspection and no hassle return policy. If he's confident that it's original, then he should have no qualms about this agreement. Once it's in your hands, a close inspection will hopefully answer your concerns.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!