marlin model 49

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

naturalberg
Beginner

marlin model 49

Post by naturalberg »

Hey everyone,
I just picked up a nearly mint marlin model 49 12. gauge and was hoping that some of you could tell me the value of the gun and give me any and all info that you know on the rifle. I already know that only 3000 were made and that they were given to shareholders but I dont know much else. How do i find out the exact year of make based off the serial number? Are there any teardown manuals out there that would be useful? Any and all info is greatly appreciated on this beautiful gun! Thankyou very much

-Berg
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin model 49

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Naturalberg;

The Marlin Model 49 exposed hammer, pump action shotgun was made from 1928 to 1930 according to the Brophy book. He does not give a production estimate, and the number, 3,000 produced is merely speculation on someone's part that has been printed somewhere, and now has become an unsubstantiated fact. We probably will never know the true, exact number of Model 49's produced.
The Model 49 was not a cataloged item, and as you know, was given as a stock promotion gun. A person had to buy 4 shares of stock at $25.00 per share to receive a gun from Marlin. There were a number of other guns offered during this promotion, and some were much more popular than the Model 49. The number of people choosing the Model 49 probably was not that high as there were better guns to choose.
There are no records for this time period at Marlin, so there is no way of knowing how many Model 49's were produced. The Model 49 was actually made up of parts left over when Frank Kenna took over the Marlin Company. The takedown system was the old style system that was changed to a newer and better style with the Model 24 in 1908. The hang fire safety release was the later style introduced in about 1914.
If you want to work on your Model 49, check the very first post here under the Shotgun Section. There is an excellent breakdown with photos that is very informative.
Good luck......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dd70423
Beginner

Post by dd70423 »

Hello,

Is there a complete list anywhere of which firearms were offered as gift options to go along with the purchase of the 4 shares of stock? I know the 49 shotgun was one, but didn't know how many others were offered the promotion.

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dd70423;

The list of stock option guns is as follows:

Model 50 .22 caliber self-loading rifle
Models 37, 38 and 47 .22 caliber pump action rifles
Model 39 lever action .22 caliber rifle
Model 410 lever action .410 gauge shotgun
Models 42A and 49 exposed hammer pump action shotguns
Models 43A, 44A and 63 hammerless pump action shotguns

I think this is all of them.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.