marlin lever action 32-20

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Isaac Frady

marlin lever action 32-20

Post by Isaac Frady »

I have a Marlin 32-20 lever action, Model 1894, serial #444834. I got it in a trade about 20 yrs ago, never shot, only cleaned and put brite-bore greast in the barrel. Has 19 1/2" barrel, metal strap holds fore arm on barrel, metal strap holds tube on barrel, tube is 1/4" shorter than barrel. No pits on gun. Rifling in barrel looks good. Action is great. bluing is worn off some of barrel and tube. It looks like someone has used fine sandpaper on small part at front of ejector. Stock has no nicks, metal backstrap. Has saddle ring but the hook is missing. Tapped for scope top and side, and tang. I would like to get an estimed worth and when it was made. Thanks for any help!
Don aka Isaac Frady
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hi Isaac,
Sounds like you have a typical saddlering carbine. Does it still have the flip up ladder type carbine sight on the barrel?
The holes on top of the receiver are not for a scope; they are for the Hepburn receiver sight, if there are only two, about 1 1/8" apart towards the rear. As for the side of the receiver, any extra holes could be for a receiver sight, or scope, and would be later, as your gun is most likely from around 1910-1911 era.
Saddle rings are still available from various parts people, and I think Wisners has the ring and the staple to hold it on.
As for value, it's not easy to give an estimate without seeing the gun. Although it sounds like a decent gun, with extra holes, I would be doing a diservice to guess at the value without at least seeing pictures.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Don;

I have a Marlin Model '97 rifle with a serial number in the 442,000 range that is documented to have been made in the fall of 1913. Therefore, your Model '94 saddle ring carbine would have been made around that same time, only a few months later.
Everything else Marlinman 93 told you is okay. I hope this helps.