Marlin Factories

Other discussions not necessarily relating to guns

Moderator: Moderators

tincanbandit
Beginner

Marlin Factories

Post by tincanbandit »

For those that have never been to my blog, I have a monthly post in which I tell the story of a firearm manufacturer, the stories center around the factories in which the guns were made. Many of the old gun factories in New England still stand.

I have been reading Lt Col Brophy's book, but there seems to be some missing info regarding the early shops in which John Marlin started his company.

From 1863 on he had worked in a couple of shops in New Haven before buying/building the Willow Street factory in New Haven. I also cannot pin down a date when that factory was built or when Marlin moved in.
I have seen dates of 1850 (when built), 1873, 1880, 1882 and 1900

Anyone know the true story?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Factories

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tincanbandit;

In the October, 1958 "AMERICAN RIFLEMAN" magazine, Herschel C. Logan reported the following about John M. Marlin and his locations in New Haven, Ct. His first shop was on Grand Avenue. He moved to the corner of Collis and Water Streets. Another move was to State Street and Hamilton. Unfortunatley, Logan gives no dates on any of these locations.
Following on that, Pete Kuhlhoff in the 1970 "GUN DIGEST" stated that Marlin was on State Street in 1864, then on William Street. In 1865, he is on Franklin Street then back to William Street. In 1866, Marlin is shown on Bradley Street. Of course, in 1867, Marlin moved to Hartford, Ct. until 1870 when he returned to New Haven where he shown to make pistols until 1875 on State Street.
This most likely would lead Marlin to the factory at Willow and Nichole to start making the Ballard rifles as a large facility would be needed to make both handguns and the Ballard rifles.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
tincanbandit
Beginner

Re: Marlin Factories

Post by tincanbandit »

Thanks!