Capt. George E. Bartlett

Other discussions not necessarily relating to guns

Moderator: Moderators

Krag1902
Beginner

Capt. George E. Bartlett

Post by Krag1902 »

George Bartlett was hired by Marlin in the Spring of 1898 as their representative/exhibition shooter. He was sent on a tour of Europe to promote the new Model of 1898 shotgun as his first assignment. Bartlett had a background as a buffalo hunter, US Marshal, Pony Express rider and a certifiable Old West character. Later, in about 1901, he went to work for Peters Cartridge. I'm trying to flesh out the dates of his association with Marlin, and would be interested in ANY factual data concerning his days with Marlin. Does anyone have 1898-1902 catalogs that might mention him? Too,I could use a really good scan of a Model 1898 shotgun from a catalog cut or ad. I've a magazine article in mind if I can collect enough raw data. You're all invited to help. Thanks in advance.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Capt. George E. Bartlett

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Krag1902;

I have the catalogs you mention, but will have to check them for George Bartlett information. I do have an original photograph that was taken around 1904 of Bartlett, Frank Carter and Capt. Albert Hardy together, all holding deluxe Marlin rifles. This photo would have been taken while they worked for Peters. In fact, Bartlett has a Peters pinback on his lapel in the photo.
I will scan any information I can find and the photo if you like. In return, if you run into any information on a shooter by the name of O. C. Hillhouse (first name Ones), that would be of help to me if you could pass that along. He wrote a letter published in the 1915 Marlin catalog describing his Model '97 made for him in the fall of 1913. I have that gun. I believe he worked for Peters as well from what little information I have found so far.
The Peters representives used Marlin rifles because Marlin did not make ammunition whereas Winchester and Remington did make both guns and ammunition, so Peters did not want their reps using the competitions guns to demonstrate Peters ammunition.
Looking forward to your reply.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Krag1902
Beginner

Post by Krag1902 »

Regnier,
I would appreciate any Bartlett data your catalogs might contain. The photo of A.H. Hardy and Bartlett particularly excites me. Since Hardy was from here ( Nebraska), I became interested in him initially, and wrote a feature on the man. It was in Gun Digest for 2009. Last summer, I brought to bag a fancy leather gun case he made sometime before 1910.
Hillhouse is not a familiar name with me. I think the gun companies went through a lot of demonstrators back then, assigning each a territory. Peter's brought theirs all together once a year and took a group photograph. The journal SPORTING LIFE broadcast their comings and goings as well as anyone, and SL is available online. Google might cough up some hits that mention Mr. Hillhouse. Meantime, I'll reset my filters to include him and will let you know if anything surfaces.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Krag1902;

There is a brief mention of George Bartlett in Thomas D. Schiffer's book "PETERS & KING" on page 181 along with where that came from. Have you looked at any of the "Sportsman Review" publications from the turn of the century? It was published in Cincinnati and the particular issue is January 21, 1905.
O.C. Hillhouse may have been a late comer to the scene since his rifle was not made until late 1913. I need to get into the census records from that time frame to see if his employment is listed with the Peters Cartridge Company.
Are you going to Tulsa this weekend?

Krag1902
Beginner

Post by Krag1902 »

I have a copy of Peters and King, a good reference and a nice piece of research. I have not seen a paper copy of SPORTSMANS REVIEW but have looked at it online a bit. FOREST AND STREAM is another good option and we have it here ( hardcopy) at a university library. I need a good block of time to get down there and sort through the right years. Tulsa? Not me; I don't venture too far from home these days.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Krag1902;

I have found only one reference to George Bartlett in the old Marlin catalogs, and it really is not a Marlin catalog, but a publication titled "Marlin Experiences" that was put out by Marlin in about 1904. There is a quote from a letter written by Bartlett to Marlin, and it goes as follows:

"I calculate that I have shot the old Marlin action I am still using over 30,000 times and it works all right yet. The checking on the grip is worn in spots right down to the smooth wood surface."

Capt. George E. Bartlett
With Peters Cartridge Co. and
Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co.

Now, Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett was out of Chicago. Maybe another source to be checking. I wonder if George was the Bartlett of the H,S & B Company?

Krag1902
Beginner

Post by Krag1902 »

One reference suggests that Bartlett was kin to someone at Peters/King. Might have been the Bartletts in the distributor's side.