My very own Marlin Handcuffs

Other discussions not necessarily relating to guns

Moderator: Moderators

dickaye
Marksman

My very own Marlin Handcuffs

Post by dickaye »

OK,
So I'm minding my own business and E-bay entices me with a pair of Marlin handcuffs. I buy them because they look like brass and though I like the look of old brass on guns the best, I think a pair of brass handcuffs by Marlin/Daley will look just fine hanging on my wall. I wonder though, are these really brass? Isn't brass a rather soft metal and is it appropriate for handcuffs? OK, thats probably a dumb question since brass seemed to work fine on my 66 Winchesters and early Marlin Derringers. OK, it was a stupid question. So to save face I'll ask this: Is there any way to tell whether these handcuffs with their "swivel" device are first or second run? AKA How old are they?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: My very own Marlin Handcuffs

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Richard;

The swivel type handcuffs were shown in the old Marlin catalogs from 1911 to 1915. The handcuffs are not made of brass, nor were they ever offered with a brass finish. The standard finish was either nickel plated, or simply polished metal. The swivel type handcuffs utilized the smaller style locking body. The Daly patented handcuffs were patented on December 2, 1879, patent #222,252.
There is a "copy" of the Daly style handcuffs out there, patented by George Caveney in 1910 and 1911. Externally they look nearly alike, but utilize a different locking system. Caveney's patent number(s) are 948,310 and 1,000,666 if you care to look them up to see the differences.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Well Rick,
These handcuffs are assuredly marked with the Marlin logo. They certainly were not "brass" but they did look like it in the picture! They're also not as interesting looking hanging on my fireplace mantel as the were when I saw them on the internet. Oh well................You need a pair of handcuffs?

Dickaye
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Richard;

Actually, I have a pair with the 3 link connecting chain and a pair with the swivel style connecting link. I wrote an article for the Association's newsletter about the Daley handcuffs several years ago. That is why I had the Caveney patent information. I had picked up a old flyer from about 1884 for the Marlin-Daley handcuffs and knew of another that was from around 1911, so I thought it would make an interesting article.

dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Mr. R,
I found a Marlin key schematic on the internet; I wonder if I can manufacture a key? Then again, in the movies they pick handcuffs with little pieces of wire, behind their backs no less. Actually, it may be best when you own a pair of locked handcuffs to not have a key. I'm thinking a key might cause some problems..................... Rich
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Richard;

Go back to eBay, I see Marlin handcuff keys listed there all the time. They are new copies I believe, but good ones. They are not that expensive and have considered buying one to see if they do indeed work and to have a spare, "just in case".....