marlin 1897 takedown #10 engraving MINT

mblythe
Beginner

marlin 1897 takedown #10 engraving MINT

Post by mblythe »

I just aquired an 1897 lever (22) that has factory #10 engraving. this gun is mint with 98% color hardening
and stock finish and blueing is almost 98-99% also. this gun gives me goosebumps to be this old (1909) and be this clean.
I am looking for collectors to value this gun. It may be for sale but I am in the investigation period. this gun also has its original booklet. my email is mblythe77@hotmail.com
mblythe
Beginner

Re: marlin 1897 takedown #10 engraving MINT

Post by mblythe »

have some good pics if interested in seeing
mblythe
Beginner

Post by mblythe »

thanks for the people that have emailed me with info.

must be something special about this besides condition I had a guy that wants to fly in to see it

does anyone know where I can get some information on this gun so I know more about it

I know that #10 engraving is a top style engraving, I have heard that there was a #15 (one grade higher)
I have also found out that the records are not avail to get a letter. But this gun shows the exact pic in the catalog (1909)
The engraving pattern is exact. wood is awesome and checkering is sharp and crisp. I am not sure this gun has been out of the closet ? I would appreciate any opinions and I can also send you pics
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mblythe;

If the serial number of your Marlin Model 1897 is below 355,500, then it may be listed in the old Marlin factory records. But, the engraving most likely will not be included in the description. If this is a Model 1897 (not Model '97), it should be listed in the records.
There was a Grade 15 engraving (also a grade 18 and 40), but, I know of no little .22 caliber rifles that were engraved with any pattern above the Number 10. I have seen a couple of 1897's with the Number 10 engraving.
The Number 10 pattern started as a listed pattern in 1897 and was offered up to 1916. There were no official patterns listed in the Marlin catalogs until 1897.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

I would be interested in seeing the pictures. :mrgreen: How do you know it was made in 1909? Is there paperwork with the rifle?
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
mblythe
Beginner

Post by mblythe »

yes I have the original catalog or owners manual it says 1909 and has the exact pattern of # 10 shown (both sides) and says #10 This gun is VERY mint I am not sure how to download pics But can forward to you if you send me an email

the wood is also MINT I have a few interested people But they seem not to believe what I have ?? Not sure I undersand why

My email is mblythe77@hotmail.com I will send pics if you email and ask as I say I call this gun 99% and has great case colors I am looking to sell But not in a hurry
mblythe
Beginner

Post by mblythe »

I have never used an online auction what do you recommend Not willing to let go for cheap I guess I will keep it But I do not want to get stuck on an auction But I am not sure of what min bid to ask