First post. Great Grandpa's ol' Marlin.

Mosin Man 15
Beginner

First post. Great Grandpa's ol' Marlin.

Post by Mosin Man 15 »

Hey guys! I got a question for you all, I've been trying to find out a little bit more about the model 39a I inherited a few years back from my Great Grandpa. I'm trying to find the time that it was produced, but I can't seem to find anything on the prefix of the serial number, the serial number is B19XX. Does anyone here know when this rifle was made? If so, is it more/less rare than other ones and what's the approximate worth on a rifle like this? Just out of curiosity, not planning on selling a little piece of my Grandpa. Thanks for you posts!
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Re: First post. Great Grandpa's ol' Marlin.

Post by chrifle »

The B prefix indicates a second variation model 39A produced in 1940-41; not common and typically sought after by collectors. It is the first 39A with a rounded lever and flat pistol grip stock; the buttplate also shows a curve in molding, and the receiver remains case hardened. Condition (original) means everything in value - if you can post pictures it would help to determine a closer approximation, as the range could be $200 - 1000!? Glad you want to keep the rifle in your family!