Firing pin for Model 1895 45-70 needed

Denny1942
Beginner

Firing pin for Model 1895 45-70 needed

Post by Denny1942 »

I posted this in the gunsmithing section but thought by including it here I might reach a different audience. I have just received my grandfathers model 1895 45-70 rifle manufactured in 1903. It's in great shape except that somewhere along the line the firing pin was removed for some reason. Obviously it is non functional. I would like to buy a vintage firing pin for it rather than have a new one milled. Any ideas? Also, does any one have the dimentions for the two part pin if I have to go to plan B. I appreciate any help you guys out there could give me. Thanks! <dennisbromley@yahoo.com>
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Re: Firing pin for Model 1895 45-70 needed

Post by Parley Baer »

You will probably have to have one made. I don't know where you can buy one. Someone on here might be able to correct me but I think either the front half or the rear half is the same as on the Marlin 1893. If so that would get you half way there. The Model 1893 firing pin is readily available.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
Dave Woods
Beginner

Post by Dave Woods »

Here's what I would do. As you know, on opening the action, the end of the lever retracts
the firing pin. This is vitally important. put a 336 pin in the bolt and see if the lever
retracts it. When the firing pin protrudes from the face of the bolt, and you look into
the slot in the bolt that accommodates the lever, you should see about a 16th of an inch
showing for end of the lever to to contact and retract the pin.
If this is the case, and I suspect it will be, then the only other factor is how much extra
length is needed at the other end of the pin.
On Firing pins, where just the tip is broken off, tig weld the end, stick it in a drill chuick,
and reshape the point.

Dave Woods 845-518-2469
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

I have both 1893's & 1895's in my collection. I have tried interchanging firing pins between the 2 models in the past & it does not work. The back pin in the 1895 is different from the back pin in the 1893. Also because of the bolt length the front
firing pin of the 1895 is slightly longer than the front pin of the 1893. Original firing pins for the 1895 model are virtually
impossible to find. I had a 1895 rifle with a broken firing pin 2 years ago & I had to take apart another 1895 & took the pin
to a gunsmith & he duplicated it for me. I had him make 2 so I had a spare pin in case of breakage. The gun I took it to was
reasonable on his price $20.00 a pin both front & back.