Marlin model 1895 .38-56 lever action

krd
Beginner

Marlin model 1895 .38-56 lever action

Post by krd »

Hello. I have a Marlin model 1895 .38-56 lever action rifle that has been in my family for a very long time. Unfortunately, I would like to sell it now.

I found a little information about it, but was hoping to find more.
It has a 26" octagon barrel.
The serial # starts with 241xxx.
It was made in 1902.

I appreciate any help in figuring a value and finding a buyer.
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Marlin model 1895 .38-56 lever action

Post by cj57 »

Try to post some pics, and I'm sure you could sell it here or one of the auction sites

Clark
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

KRD;

May I make a suggestion? Since this is a family piece, check with relatives to see if anyone else may be interested in buying the gun from you. A brother, cousin, uncle may want to have that particular gun that was owned by someone in the family. Once a family piece gets out of the family, it will be gone forever, and then future genreations of the family will be deprived of the ownership of that piece.
Good luck with your decision......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:KRD;

May I make a suggestion? Since this is a family piece, check with relatives to see if anyone else may be interested in buying the gun from you. A brother, cousin, uncle may want to have that particular gun that was owned by someone in the family. Once a family piece gets out of the family, it will be gone forever, and then future genreations of the family will be deprived of the ownership of that piece.
Good luck with your decision......
+1

My brother got one of my grandfather's carry guns from the Tacoma Police Dept. from when he was a detective in the 1920's and then the moron sold it at a gun show without asking if anyone else in the family wanted it. Good thing he lives in Denver or I would still be beating his sorry butt once a week for this act of selfishness.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
krd
Beginner

Post by krd »

Thank you for your replies. I have kept it since my father passed away nearly 7 years ago. I have discussed it with other family members, but none of us are gun collectors. I found this site searching the internet. Do you have access to Marlin's manufacturing and shipping records? If so, I would be curious to know more about this serial number - 241620. Was it manufactured in 1902? Any other info?

I have uploaded some pics to my Picasa Web account at the following site:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008309632 ... feat=email#

Thanks,
Ken
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Ken;

Yes, your Marlin Model 1895 was shipped in early 1902. It is a standard version with the 26 inch octagon barrel in .38-56 caliber.
Good luck selling your Model 1895, I hope a deserving collector can get together with you on it.

krd
Beginner

Post by krd »

Regnier,

Thanks for the info. I have a Blue Book of Gun Values which shows values for different % conditions. Based on the pictures, can you or someone tell me what % condition you think my rifle is? I appreciate it.

-Ken
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Ken;

I went and looked at your pictures, and you have some problems with the condition. But, you also have some good things to report as well.
The bolt through the wrist of the butt stock will hurt the value of the gun, as does the non-original sling swivel. These two things will hurt the value the most to a collector. There is virtually no case color left on the receiver, but you can see some shadows of where the case color was. The blue on the barrel and magazine tube rate pretty good as most of the blue is there with just some slight pluming and edge wear.
Now, you have a really good receiver sight in the "Climin' Lyman" Number 21 receiver sight. These sights alone can go for between $200.00 and $350.00 depending upon condition. The front sight is a Marble-Sheard Gold Bead front sight and will bring a premium price in the $100.00 range to the right person.
If you are looking at the pictures in the front of the "Blue Book of Gun Values", it will be hard to put an estimate of condition on your gun compared to the pictures since you have little finish left on the receiver. But, I would say from what I saw, you need to be somewhere in the 20 to 30% range overall, then take away for the bolt in the butt stock and the sling swivel, then add something back for the sights.
If you are lucky, someone here will look at your pictures and make you a legimate offer. Good luck..........

Billy Don
Beginner

Post by Billy Don »

Do you still have your rifle?
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Ken;

I went and looked at your pictures, and you have some problems with the condition. But, you also have some good things to report as well.
The bolt through the wrist of the butt stock will hurt the value of the gun, as does the non-original sling swivel. These two things will hurt the value the most to a collector. There is virtually no case color left on the receiver, but you can see some shadows of where the case color was. The blue on the barrel and magazine tube rate pretty good as most of the blue is there with just some slight pluming and edge wear.
Now, you have a really good receiver sight in the "Climin' Lyman" Number 21 receiver sight. These sights alone can go for between $200.00 and $350.00 depending upon condition. The front sight is a Marble-Sheard Gold Bead front sight and will bring a premium price in the $100.00 range to the right person.
If you are looking at the pictures in the front of the "Blue Book of Gun Values", it will be hard to put an estimate of condition on your gun compared to the pictures since you have little finish left on the receiver. But, I would say from what I saw, you need to be somewhere in the 20 to 30% range overall, then take away for the bolt in the butt stock and the sling swivel, then add something back for the sights.
If you are lucky, someone here will look at your pictures and make you a legimate offer. Good luck..........
Rick, one thing that you over looked was the dovetail cut in the top of the frame will also effect the value. :(
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

Road King wrote:
Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Ken;

Rick, one thing that you over looked was the dovetail cut in the top of the frame will also effect the value. :(
Also take a good look at that receiver sight, I don't think its a Lyman, it looks home made to me. I have 10-15 rifles with lyman 21, it doesn't look right.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Clark;

You are right about the dovetail in the top of the receiver. When I am not interested in buying something like this, I do not look all that close. All I looked at in the photos was the thumbnails of the gun in total. I did not enlarge any of the photos to get a really good look. My mistake. About the receiver sight, well, I cannot see someone actually making a sight like that and it being accurate as well fit the gun the way it does. It may be that someone has "buffed" it really hard and done some other work on it to make it look the way it does. It may be a homemade sight, but if it is, it is really a good copy of the Lyman.

Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

krd wrote:Thank you for your replies. I have kept it since my father passed away nearly 7 years ago. I have discussed it with other family members, but none of us are gun collectors. I found this site searching the internet. Do you have access to Marlin's manufacturing and shipping records? If so, I would be curious to know more about this serial number - 241620. Was it manufactured in 1902? Any other info?

I have uploaded some pics to my Picasa Web account at the following site:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008309632 ... feat=email#

Thanks,
Ken
It's not about being a gun collector. It is about family history and heritage. If nothing else have the firing pin removed and hang it on the wall as a family conversation piece. Doing anything else is a shame.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
krd
Beginner

Post by krd »

To Billy Don and others interested,

Yes, the rifle is still available. I am accepting offers. Please email me at krd628@gmail.com

Thanks.
Ken
Hopkins90
Beginner

Post by Hopkins90 »

Hey guys! i have some pistol at home- it is very old but I don't know the model of it as I can't see the name of it. So I want to present it to someone.