Antique Firearms Dealers

dickaye
Marksman

Antique Firearms Dealers

Post by dickaye »

I am not sure I should bring this up here for I do not know enough yet about the "Marlin Collectors Association" and just who might be members, but I am about two years into trying to gather up examples of as many antique lever actions as I can. I have of necessity been buying from several firearms dealers on line and sight unseen and though I have had no major problems, I still wonder if anyone might know something about a dealer that I would be wise to learn about. I have purchased from Leroy Merz, Cabelas Gun Library, Collectors Firearms, Joe Salter, Gutterman Historical, Online Gun Auction and of course Gunbroker.com as well as a few others. I really had only one problem with any of these folks and that was due mostly to my own inexperience when I first started this "hobbie." I try to stay away from Colt handguns and other areas that are susceptible to fakes because I am vulnerable in my ignorance, but I have been getting smarter. Notice how your "library" seems to grow quicker than your gun collection? Any suggestions anyone might have concerning the procurement of antique firearms would be appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Antique Firearms Dealers

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dickaye;

You are doing the right thing with the books. I have a wall full of books of all kinds related to firearms, engraving, etc. Another resource of information is right here. If you have a question about something, bring it here and ask. Usually someone will be willing to step up and give some advice or help.
As to buying, do not forget the big auction houses like Rock Island Auction, James Julia and Little John's. They can get pricey if you go up against someone else, but a lot of wonderful items have been going to auction recently.
Attend some of the bigger gun shows such as Tulsa or Baltimore, etc. The Colorado Gun Collectors Association show in May is the BEST display show in the country and some of the finest firearms in the world get displayed there from time to time.
There are a lot of good dealers out there, but there are some bad ones too. Just be careful and get a written description and guarantee just in case it is not correct. I have advised several people in the past to get their money back on items that were not correct.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Re: Antique Firearms Dealers

Post by Parley Baer »

"Another resource of information is right here. If you have a question about something, bring it here and ask. Usually someone will be willing to step up and give some advice or help."

Dittos to that. I would say right here you will have the best and most up to date source of information available regarding Marlins. Brophys book is probably the next best source and now that time has gone by and with new information that has come to light even some of that is now dated. Blame it on the internet. :mrgreen:
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.