Marlin 19N questions

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Luke

Marlin 19N questions

Post by Luke »

An oldtimer friend has asked me for info on this old shotgun -a Marlin Model 19N Patent # 3/34/1908, 5/19/1908, 11/23/1909. Number 2458 on trigger guard, exposed hammer. He would appreciate any historical data and estimated value. He teels me the gun is in fine shape and hasn't seen much use. Thank you,
Luke

Re: Marlin 19N questions

Post by Luke »

Will somebody please help out on this wuestion . I know the knowledge is out there. THanks from an Old Marine.
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

According to Brophys Marlin book, the Model 19 was made in 1906 & 1907. I'm no expert by any means on these old shotguns, but that seem like quite a short production run. I believe the Model 19 was an improved version of Marlins Model 1898. There are some experts here who can answer your questions. I do know that marlin has deemed ALL of their older production shotguns (certainly including the Model 19) as not safe to fire with modern ammunition.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Luke;

The Marlin Model 19 was listed in the Marlin catalogs from 1906 to 1907. But, there were improvements made and the Model 19 became the Model 24 in 1908.
Apparently, there were a number of Model 19 receivers left over, and marked Model 19, and were subsequently used (with sufix added) by either the Marlin Arms Corporation (1916-1917), Marlin-Rockwell Corporation (1917-1921) and the Marlin Firearms Corporation (1921-1924) to use up the excess parts available without expending money for receivers already on hand and ready to use.
Your serial number is to low for the original Marlin Firearms Company that sold out in 1916 to the Marlin Arms Corporation, and both the Marlin Arms and Marlin- Rockwell used a letter prefix in their serial numbers. This should make your gun a Marlin Firearms Corporation gun, made sometime after 1921, but before 1924.
As to value, that really is dictated by the amount and condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. I bought a near new Model 19 several months back for about $400.00. Depending upon the percentage of the amount of original finish remaining, you can reduce the value from there.
Thank you for your service to our country, and I hope this helps you and your friend.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
oneeyednine1029

Post by oneeyednine1029 »

Anyone know if the model 19 n was chambered for 2 5/8 or 2 3/4 shells? I have not found anything anywhere about this. Any help is greatly appreciated....thanks..