Model 37 .22 rifle

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
bdano50

Model 37 .22 rifle

Post by bdano50 »

I have a Model 37 .22 rifle. What I believe to be the serial number, just to the rear of the trigger guard, is 6513.
Can anyone tell me how old this rifle is? Is there a site where I can look up that info?
This rifle belonged to my Grandpa and I'm interested in it's history.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 37 .22 rifle

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bdano50;

The Marlin Model 37, .22 caliber pump action rifle was made from 1923 to 1931. It was an inexpensive version of the Marlin pump action rifle that sold for about $22.00 during the production run.
The highest serial number reported for a Model 37 is in the 12,000 range, and since your gun is in about the middle of that range, I would speculate that your gun would have been made 1927. There are no records for any of the Marlin pump action rifles, so we can only estimate your production date.
That is about all we can tell you at this time, I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
bdano50

Post by bdano50 »

Thanks for that info! I know more now than I did!
Where is a good source of info for these rifles?.. I would like to do additional research on my own.
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

The best source of info on these rifles would be the book by William S. Brophy, Marlin Firearms; A History of the Guns and the Company that made Them.
bdano50

Post by bdano50 »

Thanks... I'll check it out.
Lancer40
Beginner

Post by Lancer40 »

I recently purchased a Marlin 37 also. Light freckling, beautiful bore. Stiff and dry but relatively clean. Smooth after lubricating. Is this rifle supposed to slam fire like the Winchester 1906?