38-40 Cal Lever Action Rifle

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
elainec32

38-40 Cal Lever Action Rifle

Post by elainec32 »

I'm hoping for a bit of information about this rifle I have. It's serial number is 38835. It has the octagonal barrel, lever action, and says "Patented Oct 11, 1887, April 2, 1889 on top of the barrel, and after reading a bit of history on the Marlin website I gathered that the patent is referring to the "Marlin Safety". It also says "38-W" on it closer to where it says "Marlin Safety" on the flat top above the trigger. She's a beauty and I love firing her. I hunt with her and do my own reloads using the universal clays to keep her cooler. I'm self-taught, learning as I go, but I decided that I wanted to talk to someone that knew more about her origins and could possibly tell me when she was made. The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, Wyoming is where I saw one just like it and I gathered that mine is worth a lot more than I expected it to be, but I have no idea how much she would be worth if I had to sell her, heaven forbid (but times, they are a changing).
Any info would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and providing this wonderul collectors association.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 38-40 Cal Lever Action Rifle

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Elainec32;

You came to the right place to get information regarding your Marlin Model 1889. The Model 1889 was made from 1889 to 1895, with about 55,000 of this model produced. Your rifle, with it's 26 inch octagon barrel is a little special as a 24 inch barrel was standard. There are only 3,729 Model 1889's listed in the factory records with 26 inch barrels.
There are 18,641 listed in the 38-40 caliber.
Your gun left the factory in New Haven, Ct. in mid to late 1890.
Value of any antique firearm is dictated by the amount and condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. Without knowing these conditions, it is not possible for anyone here to give an accurate estimation of value at this time.
I hope this helps.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:51 am.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.