info

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
David Brooks

info

Post by David Brooks »

Like to know the age of my Marlin 336-A 32 special ser # G38663 and where it was made if at all possible. It belong to my parents and they have been gone for along time. Is there a book that you use to obtain your information?
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: info

Post by Sure-Shot »

The most accurate book is Marlin Firearms, A History of The Firearms And The Company That Made Them, by Lt. Col. William Brophy. It is available through the Collectors Association. That said it has some errors but far fewer than any other I am aware of. It has far more information than any other sorce. Reigner, who answers a lot of questions, has some of the factory records, unfortuneately they are not complete and in some cases only list basic information.
GBOT, GBUSA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

David;

Your Marlin Model 336-A (rifle) with the "G" serial number prefix was manufactured in 1950. The gun was made in New Haven, Ct., but the factory was moved in 1970 to North Haven, Ct.
Your rifle will have the old style, Ballard rifling which Marlin used at that time since 1875. Later Model 336's (after 1957) have the patented Micro-Groove rifling. Your rifle will have some collector interest with the old Ballard rifling. The Model 336 came out in 1948 and is still being made today in various styles.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
David Brooks

Post by David Brooks »

YES it is a lot of help... Thank you. Dave
David Brooks

Post by David Brooks »

I have one more question about the same 336-A, did they ever mount a scope on the weapon? Mine has a Weaver K 2.5 scope on it that looks about the same age as the weapon does.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

David;

The Marlin Model 336 was not factory drilled and tapped for a telescope mounting until 1956.
Your gun may have had a local gunsmith add the telescope mounting at the time it was new, thereby making the scope a period item.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:51 am.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.