Looking for gun history/dates

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Timnem22

Looking for gun history/dates

Post by Timnem22 »

Hi,
I was given a marlin shotgun that my grandfather had on a wall in his house. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year it was manufactured or if there is somewhere for me to go online to learn more about it. I am looking to restore it to working condition and the more I know the better off I think I will be. After reading other threads, I think this is the information that you will want to see.

Shotgun pump action
"Marlin MOD.28" (stamped near trigger guard)
"12412" (stamped near loading port)
Pump grip has rings grooved into the wood
Barrel has the following information "The Marlin Firearms Corporation, New Haven, Conn, U.S.A. (next line) PAT'D. U.S.A. MAR. 24, MAY. 19,1908. NOV. 23, DEC. 21, 1909."
The only other marking on the gun is a "tire tread" that runs along the top of the entire barrel

Anyways, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Tim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Looking for gun history/dates

Post by marlinman93 »

The model 28 was made from 1913-23, with a break in production for WWI. With your Corporation marked rollstamp your's will be in the early 1920-s range. The model 28 was Marlin's first hammerless pump action shotgun.-Vall

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 am.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!