1893 DOM

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
ochoco

1893 DOM

Post by ochoco »

Would like to narrow down date of manfuacture for a Marlin 1893. I know it is later manufacture. On the tang it has "Marlin Model 93" On the receiver it has "Marlin Saftey" On the barrel it has "30-30", "Special Smokeless Steel", and on two lines "The Marlin Firearms Corporation New Haven, Conn. U.S.A. Patented". There is nothing on the butt plate. I'll ask for value also. 20" octagon barrel, full magazine, cresent steel butt plate, blue very good loss on sharp corners and forend cap. Case color on everything but the butt plate, but not bright like when new. I know pictures would be helpfull, but I don't own a computer or digital camera. Just general estimate, I already paid what I thought. The serial number under the lever is "A2302". The wood is in very good shape also, a few small dings but no scratches. Thanks for all your help. :D
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1893 DOM

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ochoco;

Your Marlin Model '93 would have been made sometime between 1921 and 1935. Without more details about the gun, that is about as close as we will get right now.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.

Post by Guest »

22g2p2
Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Ochoco;

Your Marlin Model '93 would have been made sometime between 1921 and 1935. Without more details about the gun, that is about as close as we will get right now.
What are the other details about the rifle you require?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Ochoco;

Well, you told one of them with the Corporation barrel marking. Now, we need to know if it has a black and white plastic bullseye in the toe of the butt stock. Also, is there a small, six pointed star on the upper tang, near the model marking?

Ochoco

Post by Ochoco »

There is no plastic bullseye or star on the tang. Thanks again for all your effort.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Ochoco;

The lack of the six pointed star does not mean all that much as it was an inspection mark started about 1926. Some guns made after that date had the star, and some did not.
The fact that your gun has a Corporation barrel, and lacks the bullseye would tend to indicate that your gun may have been made about 1921/1922. The bullseye first showed up on the cover of the 1922 catalog and Marlin started putting it in the toe of the gunstocks about that time.
This is pretty much a "guesstamate" from the features you describe. The are no records from the era, and we have to go by the features, and when they first appeared on the guns themselves.
I hope this helps.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 am.