Any Information Marlin Model 88-22 Cal Long Rifle Only

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
cobra62
Beginner

Any Information Marlin Model 88-22 Cal Long Rifle Only

Post by cobra62 »

Would like any information I can get for this gun. Like where I can find the serial number, what type of wood, the age. This gun is loaded from the butt stock. Also where I might find an owners manual. Any help with this is greatly appericated. 8)
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Any Information Marlin Model 88-22 Cal Long Rifle Only

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Cobra62;

The Marlin Model 88 was made from 1948 to 1956. It was replaced by the Model 89.
The Model 88 was one of Marlin's less expensive guns, and therefore did not get serialized. Prior to passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968, guns were not required to have serial numbers, and Marlin did not serialize many of the less expensive models. It required an extra manufacturing step that added to the cost, so it was omitted.
The Model 88 would have had American black walnut used for the stock.
You might get lucky and find an owners manual on eBay. Or, you might go to the Marlin Firearms Company website (http://www.marlinfireams.com) and go to the FAQ's section and scroll down to "Owners Manual" to see if they have any copies available. It will be a photocopy sent to you, but I do not know if that model is one available. ]
Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.