Marlin 1893 30-30

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
wondering

Marlin 1893 30-30

Post by wondering »

My son has inherited a Marlin 1893 30-30 rifle.
Model 1893 marking behind the hammer, Marlin Safety printed on top of receiver, and the serial number located on the bottom of the receiver.
We believe that it has been used as a hunting rifle, but has been stored for the last 8 years.
My son (14 years old, experienced hunter and shooter) would like to know what load specifications, and any advice on use.
Thanks - wondering mom
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893 30-30

Post by marlinman93 »

The 1893 in .30-30 will handle standard .30-0 ammo, but it shouldn't be loaded to max loads, or use the latest high +P type loads. If he's relaoding for it, then I would stick with loads that use either a 150 gr. or 170 gr. bullet at under 1900 fps for the 150, and under 1700 fps for the 170 gr.
Personally, I feel these old Marlins have such great collector interest that I'd limit it's use as a hunting, or field rifle. Not that it shouldn't be used occasionally for hunting, as I do so with some of mine also, but not on a regular basis, and not in inclement weather where it might be harmed.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
wondering

Post by wondering »

marlinman93 wrote:The 1893 in .30-30 will handle standard .30-0 ammo, but it shouldn't be loaded to max loads, or use the latest high +P type loads. If he's relaoding for it, then I would stick with loads that use either a 150 gr. or 170 gr. bullet at under 1900 fps for the 150, and under 1700 fps for the 170 gr.
Personally, I feel these old Marlins have such great collector interest that I'd limit it's use as a hunting, or field rifle. Not that it shouldn't be used occasionally for hunting, as I do so with some of mine also, but not on a regular basis, and not in inclement weather where it might be harmed.-Vall
Thanks so much for the information. He's very excited to have been given this wonderful gun (we think with some family history, but are not sure). Do you know how we can find out more information on this particular weapon? Is there a website or way to trace the serial number?
Thanks again for your help!
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

They can trace the serial number right here. Theres some years the info is gone but mostly they can say when it left the factory & how it was configured, as in barrel type & length & caliber.
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

wondering,
Not much info available on early Marlins, but as Leverdude said, you could possibly find out if it's still got the same length barrel, and caliber it was shipped with, and when it shipped. Unfortunately records wont tell where i shipped, or who purchased it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
wondering

Post by wondering »

Marlinman and Leverdude - Thanks to both of you for the help and info!!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:54 am.