Brophy or B. west book

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
b4any

Brophy or B. west book

Post by b4any »

Ok, which one has the most usefull infomation?
Thanks
b4any
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

B4any;

Clearly, the William S. Brophy book, Marlin Firearms, A History of the Guns and the Company that made them is the best source for information. It is the most accurate (there are errors and omissions, but for the time it was the best information available) book on Marlins out there. Bill was working for Marlin when he wrote the book. He had access to information that no one else could get. It is far more complete to all the guns manufactured by Marlin from 1861 to 1989 when the book was published.
The Bill West book is a really poor source for information. The only reason to have it is for the pictures. His information is out of date, and frankly, wrong in lots of areas.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Agree about the West book. It looks like a text written strictly with information from catalogs. I bought it as there was little else available at the time. I found it frustrating as there was no solid information - especially on production figures.

An analogy would be the Brophy book is the sun; the West book is a birthday cake candle. :? SW

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:12 am.
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!