Marlin 336 serial number age?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Saltwater Cowboy

Marlin 336 serial number age?

Post by Saltwater Cowboy »

I have recently purchaced a Marlin 336 in .35 rem. I was wanting to know the age of the rifle the serial number is K13946 any help would be great. Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Saltwater Cowboy;

A Marlin Model 336 with a "K" serial number prefix was manufactured in 1953.
I hope this helps.
Saltwater Cowboy

Post by Saltwater Cowboy »

Thanks so much. I just got it today. The barrel is stainless, and the rest is a nickle finish, the wood is in great condition as well. I traded a winchester model 70 in 270 that had seen better days as an even swap. I had a bit of buyers remorse beacuse I know they stoped making the model 70 but I think this will be a fun gun. How would I go about finnishing the barrel in nickle as well? Thanks
guest 2

Post by guest 2 »

JMO, but I didn't know Marlin made any stainless steel M336's in 1953 - even just the barrels.

I know Winchester once used the term "Staynless" to describe their non-mecuric primed ammo, and maybe also some model's barrels.

Could it be that the blue's been stripped off the barrel, or it's been rebarreled with a late-model stainless barrel ?

Or - It's rare, but do you suppose the original barrel could have been removed by someone, plated, then re-intalled ?
Saltwater cowboy

Post by Saltwater cowboy »

Im not sure how it was done but the only markings on the gun are

O. EST. 1870 ---
CAL 35 REM ---

and the serial under the lever.

The rest is not there. Either by being filled in or if it was stripped. It has a couple spots that are pitted on the Barrel as well. The top of the reciever is te same color as the barrel so do you think it was stripped? The sides, trigger, hammer, lever, tube, and screws are all ( I believe ) nickel. The owner of the gun shop I think said that the guy had it in his boat. So my guess is he wanted it to be all weather. It also has a gap between the butt plate and the wood. Any guess why it might have this? It really is a great looking gun. There will soon be a few less pigs running around in my neck of the woods.
wyo man

age of marlin 336?

Post by wyo man »

how old is my marlin 336serial number H42754
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: age of marlin 336?

Post by marlinman93 »

wyo man wrote:how old is my marlin 336serial number H42754

And they didn't build any stainless 336's in 1953, or nickle plated either. Sounds like your Marlin was modified.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!

Re: age of marlin 336?

Post by Guest »

522[qu

Code: Select all

[code][code][code]
[/code][/code][/code]ote="marlinman93"]
wyo man wrote:how old is my marlin 336serial number H42754

And they didn't build any stainless 336's in 1953, or nickle plated either. Sounds like your Marlin was modified.[/quote]
my marlin isnt stainless nor nickel plated. on the barrel its reads 336RC. was my gun made in 1951or 1953?

Code: Select all

[/code
zndy

Re: Marlin 336 serial number age?

Post by zndy »

How do you tell how old a marlin is? mine has serial# 21115611. cant find web site that tells me age
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Zndy;

The very first post in the "General Gun Questions and Answers" on this site will tell you the date of manufacture of your Marlin. In this case, it is 1979. As all Marlins made after 1973, you subtract the first two digits from 100 to determine the year of manufacture. (i.e. 100 - 21 = 79 or 1979)
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Junebug

Post by Junebug »

I hate a Marlin model 336 with a gold trigger and a serial number stamper "71 135158". There is a space between the 71 and the rest of the serial numbers. What year and does the remaining numbers mean anything?

I am assuming the 71 is 1971 but I thought the 135158 might also indicate a production year of 1987...

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Junebug;

Nope...the 71 is the first two digits that were used for the year of manufacture in the serial number. Marlin used the two digits of the year indicating the year (in your case, 71 for 1971) beginning in 1969, and discontinued that method after 1972. Dealers complained that Marlin was "dating" the inventory, so Marlin changed to subtracting the first two digits of the serial number from 100 in 1973.

Jbewo

Post by Jbewo »

My marlin 336rc 35 rem has ser # U. What year ws that manuFactured.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jbewo;

The very first post in the General Gun Questions and Answers relating to how old you gun is will tell you that a Marlin Model 336 with a "U" serial number prefix would have been made in 1961.

rusty houghton

Post by rusty houghton »

i was wondering the age of my marlin 336 rc serial number m891