change stocks on 336

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
sgt e

change stocks on 336

Post by sgt e »

have a 336 (1977) in 35 rem and I'm thinking I would like to change the pistol grip stock to a straight grip, thinking this should be no problem since there are straight grip models out there and have found sites that sell the stocks..but haven't found the finger lever, as that will have to be changed to....any ideas where to look? and is it that simple or am I missing something, Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sgt e;

There is a little more to it than just changing the stock and lever. You also have to change the lower tang, then fit everything up to correct fit.
Why not just buy a straight grip gun? Save a lot of trouble, and expense finding the correct parts, plus what you already have in the gun. If you do not want two guns, then sell the pistol grip gun when you find the straight grip gun you want.......
another guest

Post by another guest »

[Why not just buy a straight grip gun? ...........when you find the straight grip gun you want.......]

And therein lies the rub.

Straight gripped .35's are not what I'd call common, or easy to find - nor inexpensive, either. :cry:

The swap isn't that hard, providing you do all the parts, as posted above.
The cheapest way is to advertise for someone with a straight-gripped M336 (any caliber), who wants a pistol grip (rarely), and swap everything.

Although Marlin does individually fit each buttstock to each receiver, they're sometimes very "close" - and, who knows, you might get lucky and not need any fitting at all. I've had some like that.

Just be aware - sometimes,you get the bear.

Do any swap FTF, so both parties can see what they're getting.

The other thing that's possible, if the funds are temporarily available, is to buy any straight-gripped M336, swap the parts & sell the unneeded gun later. :mrgreen:
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

Send it to Marlin & have them swap the parts. :wink:
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
sgte

thanks

Post by sgte »

thanks for all the advice, just found a model 30 TK and bought it!!!! again thanks Mike
TWSLUGGUN

Re: change stocks on 336

Post by TWSLUGGUN »

Hi,
just a little info for you on the pistol grip to stright stock swap........I have been down this road.
I wanted to change my 45-70 Guide gun from stright stock to pistol grip.........

Here's the deal with that.
Marlin will not sell you the bottom part or the receiver...SOME LEGAL THING
So I sent my GG to Marlin and they put on a pistol grip stock,curved lever and all the rest that goes with it for 250.00 IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!Hi,
Mr fixit
Beginner

Post by Mr fixit »

sgte, I wasn't on a misson to find a straight stock rifle, more a pistol grip fella, but this one TOLD me to take it home a couple weeks ago!! How do you like yours? I'm finding that the 30TK is lighter, seems to roll right into position, accurate, although I haven't sat down at the bench with rests yet to find out how accurate, just feels good all around. I thinking a Williams fp sight would be a good move for this rifle. Hope you enjoy that little 30-30, BTW, i did put 15 rds through her off hand and was pleased at what I saw and a heads up, I forgot ear protection, so I can tell you she BARKS! :shock: :lol: Congrats!! Mr fixit
http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... f=5&t=6223
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I've done this swap for fellas before, and the cheapest, simplest way is to just buy a second gun in .30-30 with straight grip (cheapest model) and then swap everything. When you're done, resell the .30-30 with the pistol grip now on it, and often you'll come out even, or close.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Swampman
Beginner

Post by Swampman »

Remember that some Marlins have the S/N stamped on the lower tang. You don't want to remove the S/N.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 am.