Searching for information

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
TeamAA&A Gunsmithing
Beginner

Searching for information

Post by TeamAA&A Gunsmithing »

We have an old Marlin Lever Action Rifle that we are looking to find out Caliber if possible. We prefer not to have to do a chamber casting if we can avoid it.
The serial Number is 372245
I believe it is from around 1907.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Searching for information

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

TeamAA&A Gunsmithing:

Unfortunately, that serial number is too high for existing factory records, so we cannot look it up for the information. If you will tell us what model Marlin you have ( the model marking is on the upper tang, behind the hammer ) we can give you a list of calibers that model was made available in to narrow your search for the caliber. Usually, the caliber is marked on the top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver, unless it is a .22 caliber gun which were marked on the side of the barrel, or a Model '92 in .32 Colt caliber. For some reason, Marlin did not mark the .32 caliber Model 1892/'92 with the caliber marking.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
TeamAA&A Gunsmithing
Beginner

My apologies for not listing that it is a Model 94 with a 30" barrel that is not a .22LR.

Unfortunately, someone has reblued the firearm in the past and they should be shot!
They polished most of the making to a point where we can barley make out the barrel markings. The last patent date we can see is 1903.
It may be a .32 Colt. I cannot make out any markings other than the original proof stamp just in front of the receiver on the barrel, no caliber marking is indicated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

TeamAA&A Gunsmithing;

The Marlin Model '94 was made in 4 different calibers. There is the .25-20. 32-20 which use the same cartridge head size, then the .38-40 and .44-40 calibers which use the same cartridge head size. You can measure the bore to determine if it is a .25, 32, 38, or 44 caliber gun.

Bore diameters: .25 = .250 .32 = .305 .38 = .395 .44 = .418 inches
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
TeamAA&A Gunsmithing
Beginner

I greatly appreciate the sharing of your knowledge and will let you know what we find.