Marlin 93 Factory engraved?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
New2marlin
Beginner

Marlin 93 Factory engraved?

Post by New2marlin »

Hello everyone I am new to collecting marlins and actually recently got one while trying to buy some Winchester rifles. I purchased this 1893 (93) marlin 38-55. it has a very nice engraving on both sides, but it seems odd that the rifle is not a deluxe and seems to be a later model. The sn is D5xxx although there is no D marked on the tang (only on the stock) and under the stock the sn is marked again with two stars following it. I would be happy to post some pictures if someone could tell me how :lol: but I can also email or text them to anyone who might be able to help.

Thanks everyone!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 93 Factory engraved?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

New2Marlins;

With a "D" prefix serial number, this is a very late Model 1893, made around 1919/1920. It is very unlikely that this is a factory engraved gun as it was made during a time when the factory was turned over to war production. What sporting arms made during this time were usually assembled from parts on hand. Now it is possible that there was a factory engraved receiver laying around, but it is a slim chance.

To post pictures, go to the very first post in this section ( No Longer Guest Questions ) and read Road King's instructions on how to post pictures to this site.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
New2marlin
Beginner

Post by New2marlin »

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try to attach these pics!

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/marlin-e ... 05276.html
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds odd to me also. Not just from the time frame of a D prefix, but the fact it has no other special features. I'd be highly suspect of a plain Jane '93 with engraving. But pictures will likely reveal if it's Ulrich style or not.

edit-That's not Marlin engraving.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

New2Marlins;

That is not factory engraving. It is a reasonable attempt to copy one of the original patterns, but by no means was it done at the Marlin factory. I certainly hope you did not pay too much for it thinking that it is factory engraved. Nor, I hope that the seller did not try to pass if off as factory engraving. If he did, you might have a good reason to request your money be returned. I really hate to see good money be spent on a bad gun.
As a new collector to Marlins, I would suggest you take it a little slow when buying engraved guns. There are lots of fakes out there, and some a pretty good ones. I have found some offered at the high end auction houses and informed them that they had some bad guns listed in their auction. They do not like it, but the truth being known is better for their reputation. I even had one auction house cancel an $85K sale because the item was misrepresented. They really did not like that!
Get some older Marlin catalogs and look at the section related to engraving so you can study the factory patterns. Then look at some real factory engraved guns at some of the past auctions at the higher end auction houses for reference. James Julia's has lots of good photos of real factory engraved guns in some of their past auctions. (they have had some phonies too but owned up to them)
Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
New2marlin
Beginner

Post by New2marlin »

Thanks guys. I bought (and paid) as if it was not original. I like it as-is and am not very deep into it. I knew it was t as high grade as some others and found it odd to be on a job-deluxe. Either way to me, it adds some cool factor to a decent rifle. Thanks for the help!